How make raised weld seems on Shermans

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

How make raised weld seems on Shermans

July 24th, 2006, 7:50 pm #1

I have seen modelers raise the seems on the Shermans with the white plastic strips ( I can't remember the name of the product ) and then apply (?) to soften it down and make it look like a weld. What is the product used to do this? Please help me!

July 24th, 2006, 8:19 pm #2

You can use stretched sprue and soften it with liquid cement such as Testors or Tamiya. Hope this helps.

Mike

July 24th, 2006, 11:42 pm #3

I have seen modelers raise the seems on the Shermans with the white plastic strips ( I can't remember the name of the product ) and then apply (?) to soften it down and make it look like a weld. What is the product used to do this? Please help me!
That's what I've used, except I use evergreen (plastruct is basically the same) rods instead of strips. Glue them on, then use liquid cement all over them, then the back of an x acto to press in the pattern. Works quite well.

Rob

July 25th, 2006, 9:26 am #4

I will try to get some and thank you very much for the info!!!!

July 25th, 2006, 9:27 am #5

You can use stretched sprue and soften it with liquid cement such as Testors or Tamiya. Hope this helps.

Mike
I will give that a try. Thanks for the help!!!!

July 26th, 2006, 2:34 am #6

Plastruct makes shaped styrene rods. They have one that has a hemispherical cross section. This half-round rod is easier to make into weld beads than completely round rod or stretched sprue. Ask around at hobby shops or railroad shops. HTH, RC
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

July 31st, 2006, 8:27 pm #7

Note that there are several seams together to make a seam. Weld rod not wide enough to do the job in one fell swoop! See if you can get close-up of a Sherman weld, you'll see one seam is really several smaller seams. Hence, the thinner the rod, the better.

August 3rd, 2006, 4:10 am #8

Thank you for yopur imput!!! I will try to find smaller 1/2 round rods. Bob