How do you paint sand goggles??

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

How do you paint sand goggles??

November 7th, 2011, 2:37 pm #1

Hi Guys,

I usually post over on the modern armor group but thought that you figure painters could help me out. Quick question: How do you paint sand googles like any desert vehicle crew member would wear in dusty conditions? I'm trying for that "right", realistic look, not just sunglasses green. Can any of you experts help me with some techniques please. I've been painting alot of figures lately, but that one item has been bothering me because it just is not quite up to speed.
Many Thanks,
Ed Okun

November 7th, 2011, 8:45 pm #2

Not really an expert but I did experienced this a while back. I ended up painting it with a dark color as a base and then when it was dry, I painted several layers of glossy varnish over it. I thought it was effective at the time (can't see it that well on the photo though).

Recently, I saw a video of a Japanese modeler working on a 1/35th scale PT-109. For the dark windows, he opened up an old floppy disk, cut up the material inside and glued it in place. It really looked like a dark window. This technique would have probably worked on my Desert Rat's goggles.

November 8th, 2011, 2:47 am #3

Appreciate your input and of course I had thought of the black lens color as well. I was interested to see other figure painter's work and yours is a very good representation indeed. I may still repaint all the goggle lenses that are on my models when I feel that I've gotten the knack for a good technique. Below is my last project and you can see what I did with the driver and front passenger goggles.

[/IMG]

Well I'd still like to hear from anybody else and see more examples.
thanks Guys,
ED Okun