How do you make a 9/32" hole in .02" plastic sheet?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

How do you make a 9/32" hole in .02" plastic sheet?

September 18th, 2011, 11:51 pm #1

I can't get clean holes for a .25" hole in thin .02" or .03" sheet. I have tried slow speed drill with a metal bit but it tears up the plastic. If I drill too fast I melt the plastic.
ALSO it is bigger than .25" so I don't have a big enough drill bit>

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams

Last edited by 72alltheway on September 18th, 2011, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 19th, 2011, 8:05 am #2

are you saying 2 thousand or 20 thousand thick plastic? If you are saying 2 thousand (.002 ) paper is thicker. If you are saying 20 thousand (.020 )you should have no trouble drilling it.......Dan

September 19th, 2011, 1:34 pm #3

I can't get clean holes for a .25" hole in thin .02" or .03" sheet. I have tried slow speed drill with a metal bit but it tears up the plastic. If I drill too fast I melt the plastic.

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
Use a pin vise.

September 20th, 2011, 12:51 am #4

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
Hallo, Steve,

that should not be too difficult.

Press the thin sheet beween two thicker sheets and drill through all sheets. The hole in the middle sheet (the thin one) should be o.k. then.

Harald

September 21st, 2011, 8:58 pm #5

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
Using a power drill (Dremel etc.) isn't advisable because the bit rotates to fast and can tear the thin sheet. Like I wrote previously, use a jeweler's pin vise and maually drill the holes. Micro-Mark sells one that is spring-loaded model for around five bucks. Once the hole is drilled, take a piece of fine abrasive paper and lightly sand the exit side if the plastic sheet to remove any burring.

September 28th, 2011, 12:56 pm #6

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
Steve,

I think everyone missed your point. That's a big hole to drill in thin plastic sheet. From my experience there are no pin vises that will accept a 9/32nd drill bit. Also anything more than 1/8th inch will catch in the sheet and tear it.

I have two suggestions.

1. Find a circle template with the hole size you need. Put a fresh sharp sewing needle in your pin vise and scribe the hole through the sheet very slowly. Lightly sand the opening and the faces of the sheet once the hole is opened.

2. Sandwich the sheet between two thicker pieces of material, thick sheet plastic, or 3/4 inch pine will work. Clamp it firmly and drill through slowly. The two sheets on each side will support the thin sheet and prevent it from tearing. This may take a couple of tries. Also it is rather difficult to accurately position your hole, unless you can cut the sheet to size after the hole is drilled.

Hope this helps.
Rob

September 30th, 2011, 1:43 pm #7

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
The best way is to use the back side of the drill!
A small drill pres works best. Read my explanation here.
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... =35139&p=2
This works great

September 30th, 2011, 1:44 pm #8

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
This works great

September 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm #9

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
This works great

September 30th, 2011, 1:48 pm #10

What do you all suggest?
Steve Williams
Sorry, how do you delete unwanted posts?