How accurate is the Academy Warrior??

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

How accurate is the Academy Warrior??

May 15th, 2012, 10:34 am #1

Having a hard time trying to track down a real one, how accurate is the Academy kit and are the proportions off anywhere?

TIA
Simon.

May 15th, 2012, 11:39 am #2

Dimensionally it 'looks' right although I've never done a dimensional comaparison. If you want a 'fighting' Warrior 510 from about 7 or 8 years ago then it's up to date, although recent additions of bar armour and ECM/Bowman packages have all added external parts that aren't included in the kit. Accurate armour do some upgrades (including bar armour and a 3 periscope drivers hatch) but I think a lot of the ECM and radio fittings are still 'missing'. The basic kit is very detailed and should only need anti-slip paint (see my post on the General DG of what to avoid!) and a decent set of tracks to make it into a Warrior 510 that you'll still see driving around Salisbury Plain today.

May 15th, 2012, 11:42 am #3

Having a hard time trying to track down a real one, how accurate is the Academy kit and are the proportions off anywhere?

TIA
Simon.
The latest Iraq 2003 boxing is better, they fixed some issues with the front armor especially.

If you haven't seen Terry's review:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... d13201.htm

(plug, I'm selling my kit for $20 -http://www.network54.com/Forum/47214/me ... oving+Sale)

Steve

May 15th, 2012, 4:07 pm #4

TIA
Simon.
OOB it's not too bad. There are lots of detail sets available, I would at least get the Friul tracks. Watch the angle of the road wheel arms, if you're building one with the add-on armour the vehicle should sit lower IMO. The final drive housings are too wide which caused the add on armour dimension problem on the original kit. I'm working on and off on a UN Warrior. Some great detail pics here:
http://www.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/warrior/

Jim

May 15th, 2012, 8:20 pm #5

TIA
Simon.
or rather, how to fit the mine plow to the Warrior, please.

thank you

Kylie

May 16th, 2012, 10:31 am #6

TIA
Simon.
I am actually looking to correct the 1/72nd Revell kit which has a whole load of dimensional problems, I was hoping that the Academy kit would be better, but if it has the same final drive errors that the Revell kit has, then prehaps I had better wait until I can get my hands on a real one

Time to call in a few favours

Thanks again to all,
Simon.

May 16th, 2012, 5:38 pm #7

Simon
might be able to get my hands on a Warrior tommorow but it will not be for long, what dims do you need, not promising anything definite though.

Bob

May 16th, 2012, 7:42 pm #8

Hi Bob

The dimensions I am after are really only the rear bins, height to hull roof, ground clearance, final drive and the most important width of the hull between the track, from those I should be able to work.

My son in law used to work on them but has now left the army, never thought I would need them whilst he was serving Doh!

Thanks,
Simon.

May 19th, 2012, 5:05 am #9

OOB it's not too bad. There are lots of detail sets available, I would at least get the Friul tracks. Watch the angle of the road wheel arms, if you're building one with the add-on armour the vehicle should sit lower IMO. The final drive housings are too wide which caused the add on armour dimension problem on the original kit. I'm working on and off on a UN Warrior. Some great detail pics here:
http://www.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/warrior/

Jim
irrespective of whether it has the add on armour.

Regards.

Neil