Houffalize Panther - Done!

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Houffalize Panther - Done!

July 28th, 2011, 2:32 pm #1

Heres my latest model, a recreation of the famous Panther G that sits in the town square in Houffalize Belgium. Needing a really challenging project, I chose this one as not only a very interesting build (there seems to be precious little on this thing thats standard - especially the wheels and running gear which were a nightmare to sort out!), but also a difficult painting exercise. I wanted from the outset to try and duplicate as closely as possible the way that the real Panther looks and as such, I have strenuously avoided artistic effects, choosing instead to only use techniques that would help produce a model that looked real albeit in miniature. This involved reference to hundreds of detailed shots to work out where paint had been chipped and worn away, revealing the multiple layers of paint underneath. The inclusion of the graffiti places the model close to today, as the lettering on the side is a recent addition. A few tiny details will be added later in the project, but in the meantime Im happy to see this model done!

I hope you like it!

Spence

July 28th, 2011, 2:38 pm #2

I particularly like the metal replacement plates on the rear deck. The peeling paint is also very convincing! Constructing a monument with all it's interesting qualities was a good choice.

Kenneth

July 28th, 2011, 2:38 pm #3

Heres my latest model, a recreation of the famous Panther G that sits in the town square in Houffalize Belgium. Needing a really challenging project, I chose this one as not only a very interesting build (there seems to be precious little on this thing thats standard - especially the wheels and running gear which were a nightmare to sort out!), but also a difficult painting exercise. I wanted from the outset to try and duplicate as closely as possible the way that the real Panther looks and as such, I have strenuously avoided artistic effects, choosing instead to only use techniques that would help produce a model that looked real albeit in miniature. This involved reference to hundreds of detailed shots to work out where paint had been chipped and worn away, revealing the multiple layers of paint underneath. The inclusion of the graffiti places the model close to today, as the lettering on the side is a recent addition. A few tiny details will be added later in the project, but in the meantime Im happy to see this model done!

I hope you like it!

Spence

Not that I would have expected something else....

Congrats! Stunning work!

Sven

July 28th, 2011, 2:42 pm #4

I hope you like it!

Spence

very nice weathering

July 28th, 2011, 3:32 pm #5

I hope you like it!

Spence

Hello Spencer.

I am very happy to see you panther, finished, and very nice as we expect from you.
I think that you catched very well that panther, specially the chipping and all small effects.
The metal color is just perfect in my opinion, and the chipping shapes is one of the best that I have seen in long time.

But I must tell you alos that the colors that you used for the camo is not like I remebered it. The actual colors is much more bright and light and make more contrast with the metal rusty color.
Maybe it was difficil to control, but to me is the main mistake.

of course, it is nothing specially important, because the whole models, and general look is the most important, and you panther represent very well that tank in that town.

You amde a great, great work with it, and nothing can be fixed now, but in generla I love your interpretation.
One more time, one of your best works without doubts!

MIG

July 28th, 2011, 3:58 pm #6

My dear friend.

With this comparation I don't want to rest any value to your model. In fact, one more time,I must say that what you made is fantastic, great and very well done. of course, I cannot make it better than yours. Your interpretation is wonderful. I I don't want to say that your colors is worng or right, just because it is art, pure interpretaion of the reality and this is why your panther and its colors is perfectly valid.

I just wanted to share my memories and thought with you.

I took many photos of the panther, and still fresh in my memory after many years, but I wanted to say that I remeber the colors much more bright (maybe more life or dark (SATURATION is the word, in spanish Saturacion). This fact help to create more contrast with the chipping.

This photo maybe can help, as well as to show to everybody the original one (not everybody know the real one)

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/39912-5/Bastogne+090

And yours:

This photo is really important to explaing the point about teh color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansderegt/5451325885/

Or this one:

As you can see, some of the ochre color (suposed to be dark yellow), is going to a green shade in your model. Something similar happen with the green and brown.

But one more time....this is only a very small point, and is just my personl opinion.

The whole work is much more superior than I expected!

Congrast again Spencer

MIG

July 28th, 2011, 4:32 pm #7

I hope you like it!

Spence

You've captured the look and feel to this old tank. It's one of my favorite Panthers still remaining. Other than the tones of the green and brown being off as Mig has mentioned, this turned out fantastic. You seem to be coming out with some different and creative models as of late.
Again, congrats on another fantastically build and painted model.

Cheers
Rob

www.scratchmod.com
The Art of Destruction

July 28th, 2011, 5:22 pm #8

My dear friend.

With this comparation I don't want to rest any value to your model. In fact, one more time,I must say that what you made is fantastic, great and very well done. of course, I cannot make it better than yours. Your interpretation is wonderful. I I don't want to say that your colors is worng or right, just because it is art, pure interpretaion of the reality and this is why your panther and its colors is perfectly valid.

I just wanted to share my memories and thought with you.

I took many photos of the panther, and still fresh in my memory after many years, but I wanted to say that I remeber the colors much more bright (maybe more life or dark (SATURATION is the word, in spanish Saturacion). This fact help to create more contrast with the chipping.

This photo maybe can help, as well as to show to everybody the original one (not everybody know the real one)

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/39912-5/Bastogne+090

And yours:

This photo is really important to explaing the point about teh color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansderegt/5451325885/

Or this one:

As you can see, some of the ochre color (suposed to be dark yellow), is going to a green shade in your model. Something similar happen with the green and brown.

But one more time....this is only a very small point, and is just my personl opinion.

The whole work is much more superior than I expected!

Congrast again Spencer

MIG
Hey Miguel - how are you my friend?

I agree with you about the colours. I spent a huge amount of time trying to guage the actual colours of this Panther, and deciding on it's camouflage and pattern. In doing this I used almost a dozen different websites and almost 150 images and in every one, it looked a different colour! In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and create as close as I could the way the vehicle looked, the image below being one of those used to try and match those shades. Notice how they look totally different to yours, the green looking much lighter - it really makes your head spin. In the flesh, the model is far less saturated than it looks in the images and the green and red/brown are far less 'bright'. Frankly, given the amount of weathering and layers of dirt that now cover the model, I'm really not sure how it would be possible to match those shades accurately!!! Maybe next time...

Here's an image that is reproduced here for information only - I claim no ownership.

Take car my friend and have a nice evening!

Spence

July 28th, 2011, 5:35 pm #9

My friend....frist all, don't worry! My critic doesn't means any negative to your work. So, you must feel very happy and very proud with what you made, and I admire a lot your work, and this one too of course!
So...trying to be contructive (yes, for next time), the problem come when you used an overexposed photo, like the one that you placed here.

Even in that photo, you can see how the green is the darker color among the 3, but in your model is the lighter one.

Anyway, my point was that the fact that you made the colors in that way, there are less contrast with the chipping.
Check again the links that I posted in my reply before. the one where you can see the rear turret hatch, that one is the closer to the real thing, and maybe otehr who have seen these thank in real life, can agree with me.

of course, I understand very well that is really difficult to match the colors before the weathering, and is hard to make a accurate interpretation, specially of a subject that have 1 million photos in internet. I undertand the risk and the complex work, so...I am the frist one to aplaud your effort, and again...I like it!!

MIG

July 28th, 2011, 7:01 pm #10

You've captured the look and feel to this old tank. It's one of my favorite Panthers still remaining. Other than the tones of the green and brown being off as Mig has mentioned, this turned out fantastic. You seem to be coming out with some different and creative models as of late.
Again, congrats on another fantastically build and painted model.

Cheers
Rob

www.scratchmod.com
The Art of Destruction
Hi Spencer
I'm not used in WW2 subjects and their colors and I'm not a professional photografer....I just want to clap my hands for excellent model, you did the best chipped paint I ever seen till now.

Bravissimo!!
Gaetano