Hobby shops in Washington and Oregon?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Hobby shops in Washington and Oregon?

August 3rd, 2012, 12:09 am #1

Hi guys, I am taking a trip next week to washington state and then south to Oregon. Can anyone tell me if there are any "good" hobby shops that cater to plastic models and not so much to R/C or trains that are worth going to?

Also are there any good AFV monuments or gate guards that are worth seeing?

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

August 3rd, 2012, 12:27 am #2

Seattle....SkyWay Models

University Place....Discount Models

Lacey....Blitz Hobbies

Centralia....Blitz Hobbies

Portland...Bridgetowne Hobbies

Over on North Fort Lewis, besides the Museum, there are several M3 Halftracks, a Sherman and a M60. On Fort Lewis there is a Sherman, Cobra, M47, and M60 over at range Control and a T72 over at TSSC. On Camp Murray there is another M47 and a M3 Stuart.
Last edited by Warfrost on August 4th, 2012, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2012, 4:47 am #3

Hi guys, I am taking a trip next week to washington state and then south to Oregon. Can anyone tell me if there are any "good" hobby shops that cater to plastic models and not so much to R/C or trains that are worth going to?

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
Patrick,

Galaxy Hobby in Lynwood has a wide selection of what youre looking for and a friendly staff/atmosphere.

Hobbytown USA in Everett is also quite nice.

Joint Base Lewis McChord (Fort Lewis Military Museum) has some nice displays.

Jerry
Last edited by baka111 on August 3rd, 2012, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:47 pm #4

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
Definitely go to Sky Way Models when you are in the Seattle Area. One of the best selections of kits and prices I've ever seen.

Bridgetown Hobbies is also an excellent shop. If you are there Tuesday evening the local club Oregon Historical Modelers Society is having there monthly build night in the shop, they are very friendly group. There are some great modelers in that club that often post here on ML.

You may want to contact the Oregon Military Museum. It is currently closed to the public but you may check to see if you can make a private appointment. They have an excellent collection of uniforms, small arms, several vehicles and one of the finest collections of Japanese WWII equipment including a running Type-95 Ha Go.

http://www.oregonmilitarymuseum.org/

Hope you have a great trip.

Travis
Portland OR

August 4th, 2012, 3:40 am #5

I like BridgeTown Hobbies on Sandy, but the last time I was there almost two years ago the owner said he was looking to sell the place, and was not interested in buying a lot of new stock. Believe it or not, Tammy's is actually worth the drive, and there's a train shop off of Broadway that has extremely small LEDs that are great for lighting up commo gear from the inside.

August 4th, 2012, 9:39 pm #6

Rob,
Bridgetown has changed hands at this point and was purchased by a modeler.
As a result their inventory is improving once again.
You are right Tammy's in Beaverton is good shop.
Travis

August 7th, 2012, 12:28 am #7

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
but there are a few South of all the above mentioned places (all the afore mentioned are well worth visiting by the way) If you are going further South look up Trumps Hobbies in Corvallis, a new shop in Albany of which I know not the name, and Eugene Toy and Hobby. There is also a HOBBYTOWN USA in Willsonville, and maybe one in the Clackamas Town Center vacinity. A small selection at Leisure Hobbies in Salem. Monuments, well not so much.........there used to be a M4 of some sort in Bend and another in Vale at the City park.....I think it has been moved to unknown. If you get stranded I'm close to Salem...........hope you enjoy the visit to our very green portion of the beautiful USA.

August 7th, 2012, 8:47 pm #8

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
Fantastic, thanks guys I really appreciate your help. Those suggestions will give me lots to do. Just hope I don't spend too much. LOL

Patrick