hobby shops in California, Arizona, New-Mexico and Nevada

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

hobby shops in California, Arizona, New-Mexico and Nevada

July 17th, 2012, 8:54 am #1

My girlfriend and me are going on a roadtrip in the southwest. Are there any good (and not too expensive) hobby shops in this large area? The only one I visited last time was HobbyTown in Las Vegas. I'm not specifically looking for braille kits but also for Revell USA car model kits.

July 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm #2

Thomas, I'm off to Southern California this week and have found that the Brookhurst Hobbies shop is in Garden Grove CA only 4 miles from our hotel, there are directions on the Brookhurst site.
Last edited by Alanmccoubrey on July 17th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm #3

My girlfriend and me are going on a roadtrip in the southwest. Are there any good (and not too expensive) hobby shops in this large area? The only one I visited last time was HobbyTown in Las Vegas. I'm not specifically looking for braille kits but also for Revell USA car model kits.
A lot of it depends on where in Southern California you are going to go. I know of seven Hobby Shops in Los Angeles/Orange County that are within 30 minutes driving time of my house.

Here's five of the ones I frequent the most and know well:

Pegasus Hobbies
5515 Moreno Street Montclair, CA 91763
(909) 982-6507

Huge store with a full range of Railroad, RC, and diecast as well as plastic. More than two aisles of cars and one of the biggest selections of Braille Scale armor in the area. On Saturdays they even run R/C car races on the track behind the store.

Military Hobbies
830 East Lincoln Avenue Orange, CA 92865
(714) 637-1211

A smaller store, but with an incredible selection of small scale armor and a wide variety of car models. Excellent service too and the prices here are probably the most competitive.

Brookhurst Hobbies
12188 Brookhurst Street Garden Grove, CA 92840
(714) 636-3580

Another fairly large store, bursting with models, role-playing game and wargames and supplies. Small selection of Braille Scale armor compared to the previous two stores, but a huge selection of cars.

Tony's Hobbies and Toys.
925 Baldwin Park Boulevard Baldwin Park, CA 91706
(626) 337-3000

Another large store brimming with RC, and static plastic models, and some trains; as well as a huge selection of paints. Great selection of Braille Scale models comparable to Pegasus Hobbies and almost two whole aisles of cars. Prices similar to Military Hobbies and Pegasus.

'R' Hobbies.
14269 Imperial Highway La Mirada, CA 90638
(562) 777-9492

It's been awhile since I've been here, but when I was there last, it was a small hobby shop with an eclectic selection of models and some railroad as well. One of those places where you can sometimes find kits that no other shop seems to have.

Those are the ones I've been to here in Southern California and the ones I know the most about. I hope this info is helpful, and if you are in the area on the third Friday of the month, let me know. My IPMS model club meets then at the La Quinta Inn in Buena Park at 7PM. E-mail me for more info if you are interested and able to come; as my guest you'll get in for free.

Alan, that invitation is open to you as well.

Last edited by Duke_Maddog on July 17th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.