help with washes

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

help with washes

matt rogo
matt rogo

February 5th, 2005, 3:41 am #1

okay so i worked real hard on my pz1v with zimm, pe, and fruils, and ive painted the cammo and it looks great. so i decided to give a go at a wash, something i havent done before, i usually stick to pastels. all a wash is a small amount of paint to a large amount of thinner right? hopefully im not a idiot, so i gave my tank a wash, and now it looks super glossy and bad. any tips?

Josh Black
Josh Black

February 5th, 2005, 4:16 am #2

I likewise really struggled with the concept of a wash for a long time, still don't have it down pat. Couple things I would reccomment, use turpentine or ideally turpenoid (no smell), available at any painting supply store that or hardware store for cheap. thinner is too aggressive and ate away too many of my finishes. Secondly, if you are doing a filter is one thing, but I really don't see the "put a copious amount on the model and let flow thing". less is more in my opinion. This removes the likely hood of the glossy effect or the tide marks. You might also try using a less harsh color than black, say brown, grey, or dark yellow (if you are using an ambush scheme). Experiment and try a small brush with your wash and "paint" your raised areas, and dab up the extra,

Good luck

matt rogo
matt rogo

February 5th, 2005, 4:47 am #3

i really appreciate your help, its going to help me tons when im ready to paint my next model. any suggestions on fixing the high gloss on my pzIV? is there something i can airbrush over it to dull the previous coat?

February 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm #4

I normally don't worry too much about whether my models are matt or gloss during painting until the end, when I will use a couple of thin coats of varnish to make the model matt or semi- matt as appropriate.

In fact I normally use a coat of gloss varnish during the painting process to make the decals stick well and I have heard some modellers prefer to put washes on a gloss surface to reduce the effect of the wash which can be too intense on a matt surface.

Almost all paint manufacturers make matt or semi-matt varnishes. Just make sure that you shake/mix any matt varnish really well, or it will not produce a true matt effect. Also thin the varnish - two or three coats with a couple of minutes in between spraying is much better than a single coat and will produce a better matt effect.

One effect that I have tried with some success is to spray the running gear of tanks matt varnish but the upper hull hull with a slight sheen. Try mixing a matt and semi-gloss varnish to get this 'eggshell' finish.

I would agree with the comment about avoiding black washes. I sometimes use a localised black wash on engine grills, but othewish would stick to browns.

Another trick I use when trying techniques for the first time is to make up a 'guinea pig' model at the same time as my real model. The guinea pig can be made up discarded parts or even bits and pieces from the kitchen. It will receive the same paint job as the real model but if at any stage I want to see the effect of a colour or technique I can try it out on the guniea pig first and if it doesn't work out nothing is lost.

matt rogo
matt rogo

February 5th, 2005, 6:27 pm #5

i just picked up a bottle of dullcoate and after i put my decals on, im gonna spray a coat over and see what happens

Ron Hetherington
Ron Hetherington

February 5th, 2005, 10:37 pm #6

okay so i worked real hard on my pz1v with zimm, pe, and fruils, and ive painted the cammo and it looks great. so i decided to give a go at a wash, something i havent done before, i usually stick to pastels. all a wash is a small amount of paint to a large amount of thinner right? hopefully im not a idiot, so i gave my tank a wash, and now it looks super glossy and bad. any tips?
and decals and have never had it come out shinny. Yes you will have some shinny spots on the end of runs, which is how I wash my vehicles. I like to use a tan color to simulate dirt and rain run off.

Before the wash, you should seal your paint. I use Dullcoat and have had no problems with it. Also with your wash, (I just use Testors Thinner, their bottle of brush cleaner, and put in about an 1/8 of paint in a full bottle of thinner and shake away. Don't put the brush in right away, wait a few seconds to let the heavy paint particles sink or that is what you will have on your paint job!) don't use a thinner that is the same for the paint you are using, Tamiya paint/Tamiya thinner, because it will eat your paint.

I usally paint with Tamiya colors, so Testors enamel thinner won't harm the paint. But Tamiya thinner will harm enamel paints! Don't put a lot of wash on, just enough to cover, not drenched.

After I'm done with the whole paint, I lightly dust the whole thing with pastels and that also cuts down the shine, because even the Dullcoat is not very dull.