Help with Tiger Diorama

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Help with Tiger Diorama

Brad Cocks
Brad Cocks

March 24th, 2002, 12:13 pm #1

I would like to build a late tiger of an ss unit passing by a knocked out Sherman or Cromwell.
Next to the allied tank is a young grenadier with a panzerschreck.He is posing next to the hole his panzerschreck has made, a comrade taking his photograph.There would be a stone wall, hedgegrows ect.
I would include a Schwimmwagen near the grenadiers.The Tiger crew would be looking on at the "Smart alec" grenadier. How could I emphasise that the Tiger DIDN'T knock out the allied tank? Any other suggestions more than welcome. Thanks

March 24th, 2002, 8:25 pm #2

hi,

You could have the crew of the Tiger on the tank with there arms folded, and looking at the grenadier, with faces what look like they could of had the chance but never, kind of un-happy and jealous? Could also depend on how you lay the vehicles out on the base, maybe the camera man doesnt want the tank dudes in the picture.

Here are some headsets:

http://www.greenwichgateway.com/horneta ... /HGH05.htm

http://www.greenwichgateway.com/horneta ... s/HH16.htm

http://www.greenwichgateway.com/horneta ... s/HH04.htm

The last one is a facial expression set, so there will be some smiling faces aswell.

HTH Martyn

March 24th, 2002, 8:45 pm #3

I would like to build a late tiger of an ss unit passing by a knocked out Sherman or Cromwell.
Next to the allied tank is a young grenadier with a panzerschreck.He is posing next to the hole his panzerschreck has made, a comrade taking his photograph.There would be a stone wall, hedgegrows ect.
I would include a Schwimmwagen near the grenadiers.The Tiger crew would be looking on at the "Smart alec" grenadier. How could I emphasise that the Tiger DIDN'T knock out the allied tank? Any other suggestions more than welcome. Thanks
This sounds like the makings of a good diorama. I don't think that onlookers would be in doubt as to who knocked the vehicle out. To enhance the story further you could put a smiling or laughing face on the grenadier having his picture taken. Did the Germans use the thumbs up sign? if they did you could have one of the tiger crew giving this sign to the loader of the panzerschreck team , I don't think you have mentioned this figure. the panzershcrecktook two men to use it effectively , a gunner and a loader/ammo carrier. Including this figure also helps with the interaction of the different groups of figures, an important aspect of effective dioramas. the panzerschreck gunner would be smirking directly at the camera man and the loader could be acknowledging the comments/signs of the tiger crew.
To really get over the fact that the grenadiers and not the tiger did the knocking out you could always put on a catchy title plate, something along the lines that you have already mentioned ie "smart alec" I am sure that somebody could come up with a really good title. Anyway , just my two pence worth
Phil Stutcinskas

Mark Dunck
Mark Dunck

March 24th, 2002, 11:50 pm #4

Well you have already gotten some good suggestions here. The one thing in my mind that would make it clear that the grenadier KO'd the Sherman/Cromwell is for him to have either pointing to the hole that the panzerschrek made or to have his hand partially in the hole (ie.. Standing facing the camera with the palm side of his hand against the tank with just his fingers going in the hole). Of course this would be an addendum to the two previous sugestions.

Mark

Pekka Kerttula
Pekka Kerttula

March 25th, 2002, 7:44 am #5

In addition to the above suggestions, I'd place the Tiger to the background or at the side of the dio, but not in the center. This way the Tiger wouldn't receive too much attention as a 'hero'. Furthermore, point the gun of the Tiger away from the knocked out tank. Make it look as if the Tiger just happened to drive past by coincidence, motto: "Hey, what's going on here?"
Position the KO tank pointing away from the Tiger to further separate the two subjects.

In the western world where people read from left to right, we are used to look at pictures and dios from left to right, too. If the onlooker sees the Tiger first (on the left-hand side of the dio), he would immediately associate the Tiger with what comes next. So put the the Tiger to the right to make it a minor subject and not to associate it with the destroyed target. Also, you can put the KO tank and the heroes on a slight elevation to emphasize the heroes.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but you can experiment with various positions. Make quick mock-ups of cardboard, for example, to study the effect or various tank/building/tree positions.

Happy modelling...

Brad Cocks
Brad Cocks

March 25th, 2002, 10:23 am #6

Thank You for all the suggestions and links. Extremely helpful everyone and I hope to post some pics in future.
Brad

Frank Michaels
Frank Michaels

March 25th, 2002, 12:35 pm #7

The Allied tank would have massive damage after being hit by an 88mm anti tank round shot by the Tiger...

Andy Fettes
Andy Fettes

March 25th, 2002, 11:10 pm #8

I agree with pekka you could have the tiger on the right rolling past the scene with the crew looking back at the allied vehicle.like say at a cross roads with the tiger travelling down 3/4 top of base to 3/4 on the side as though the tiger would be in essence supplementry to the whole scene

March 26th, 2002, 10:12 pm #9

You could add a building in a position that would suggest that the impact hole on the sherman had to come from the direction of the buiding. This would make the tiger a less likely shooter unless he put one through a door or window.

Robert"Still Tryin"Chianese

Ron Hetherington
Ron Hetherington

March 27th, 2002, 6:39 pm #10

Brad, the concept of your dio sounds good. I would ditch the Schwimmwagen, you might have to many vehicles in it.
As for needing the loader for your team, you have him as the camara man.
I would postion the hunter holding his panzerschreck in a postion of either having him holding it accross his chest with one hand on it like he is patting it and you could even show him kissing it or with him holding it with one end on the ground.
I might even ditch the Tiger, it might take away the true meaning of the dio.
Then you could call the dio "Hunters First Kill".