Help with StuG IIIG interior

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Help with StuG IIIG interior

July 9th, 2012, 9:33 pm #1

Hi chaps

I'm presently building Dragon's StuG IIIG (Smart kit) and I'm having trouble with fitting the interior.

I built and painted the assembly (I know some of the colours aren't exactly correct and I've still got a fair amount of weathering to do) but I can't seem to get it to fit together. The rear part of the gun (breach guard?) seems to long and the mounting seems a bit too far forward. I can't get the front of the gun to go through the gap and the rear bit sticks out so the casing won't fit.

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Jamie

The sub assemblies.

Dry fitted.

Floor, base gun mount and rear bulkhead fitted in the lower hull. The rear bulkhead fits in cut outs in the lower hull so the must be correct.

Gun fitted.

Top fitted. Note the snag.

A close up of the over hanging guard.

The gun dry fitted in the upper hull. I say fitted, it won't!

July 10th, 2012, 12:56 am #2

Hey Jamie. I had everything as in the third photo but with the 'casemate'(C23) in place. Part C12 was left off till later. Next, the gun assembly was installed. It was a tight fit but went in without breaking anything. You might scuff the interior paint a little. Part C12 was put on last. An excellent kit. I've completed two and have another in the stash. Hope this helps/good luck, PK.

July 10th, 2012, 2:51 am #3

Hi chaps

I'm presently building Dragon's StuG IIIG (Smart kit) and I'm having trouble with fitting the interior.

I built and painted the assembly (I know some of the colours aren't exactly correct and I've still got a fair amount of weathering to do) but I can't seem to get it to fit together. The rear part of the gun (breach guard?) seems to long and the mounting seems a bit too far forward. I can't get the front of the gun to go through the gap and the rear bit sticks out so the casing won't fit.

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Jamie

The sub assemblies.

Dry fitted.

Floor, base gun mount and rear bulkhead fitted in the lower hull. The rear bulkhead fits in cut outs in the lower hull so the must be correct.

Gun fitted.

JAMIE ,

It all Rox !! Just one note though ... The Breech block wouldn't be painted. It would retain th steely glint as would the face of the Block & around the right side up to the handle. Ya' wouldn't want any Paint Jammin' upYour gun in a Fire Fight !

Check this out - http://tiger1.info/EN/Breech.html IT might be th Breech for a Tiger I , but it's all relative !

Th rest is spot on Brotha' !! Rock it !!

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

July 10th, 2012, 10:51 am #4

Hi chaps

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Jamie

The sub assemblies.

Dry fitted.

Gun fitted.

As Paul pointed out, its indeed part C12 that should be installed after the gun is placed, otherwise you cannot put it forward enough. Check eg this picture:

fromhttp://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... =28906&p=5

Where you can see that the gun is placed more forwards...

Eric

July 10th, 2012, 4:12 pm #5

Hi chaps

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Jamie

The sub assemblies.

Dry fitted.

Gun fitted.

Absolutely right, bloody Dragon instructions. Grrrrrrrr.

It's well and truly welded on so I may have to cut it out and try and repair the damage. ARSE!

July 10th, 2012, 5:29 pm #6

looking good and still got to be easier than masking canopies and hiding the edges on all the 'stickers'

Mark Neville
AFV Modeller Magazine www.afvmodeller.com
mark@afvmodeller.com

July 11th, 2012, 12:23 am #7

Absolutely right, bloody Dragon instructions. Grrrrrrrr.

It's well and truly welded on so I may have to cut it out and try and repair the damage. ARSE!
Jamie:

Having had to disassemble things before, try brushing a bit of "slower" acting liquid cement (Testor's works well for me) on the joints; let it work a bit to start softening the "weld" and you might be able to start working an xacto blade into the join, and it just might come off without damaging the parts....

HTH,

Mike

July 11th, 2012, 3:19 am #8

Hi chaps

HELP!!!!

Cheers

Jamie

The sub assemblies.

Dry fitted.

Gun fitted.

I made the same mistake. I took off the breech guard, and installed it after. and I also removed the locator pins for the gun assembly. not a big deal.
Last edited by nathan211 on July 11th, 2012, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.