help with STUG III G

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

help with STUG III G

February 23rd, 2012, 11:27 pm #1

Hello,

I was already working on my figures to remodel to a crewmember who is sitting on the front of a STUG III G in Arnhem, I bought herefore the Dragon STUG III G version but this kit doesn't have the barrel suport for the gun when on travel, so where I can find it, or is the STUG III G from Dragon 6412 not the kit for this project?

The Stug in question is the one who is pictured in several books and also in the concord publication from Marcel Swarts, and there we see two of his crew members sitting on the front armour plate.
This Stug has no coax MG and tracks with closed horns, and has the bolted track wheels, the later Stug's are seen with the remote control MG on top with the new style of armour plate/shield around the MG and a track wheel without the bolts, also the Saukopf is seen with a coax.

Do I have bought me a version right in between of these versions, or is this a mix from Alkett and MIAG works, and do I have to buy me a other kit from Dragon, the old STUG III G release with kit number 9014?

I add a image, from the armour which has to be reproduced.

I hope to hear soon from you.

Regards
[/IMG]
Last edited by hiscoll on February 23rd, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2012, 12:37 am #2

cmk stug converison for tamiya has the support and a sort bits
?seek=9

see see hope this help

February 24th, 2012, 10:17 am #3

Hello,

I was already working on my figures to remodel to a crewmember who is sitting on the front of a STUG III G in Arnhem, I bought herefore the Dragon STUG III G version but this kit doesn't have the barrel suport for the gun when on travel, so where I can find it, or is the STUG III G from Dragon 6412 not the kit for this project?

The Stug in question is the one who is pictured in several books and also in the concord publication from Marcel Swarts, and there we see two of his crew members sitting on the front armour plate.
This Stug has no coax MG and tracks with closed horns, and has the bolted track wheels, the later Stug's are seen with the remote control MG on top with the new style of armour plate/shield around the MG and a track wheel without the bolts, also the Saukopf is seen with a coax.

Do I have bought me a version right in between of these versions, or is this a mix from Alkett and MIAG works, and do I have to buy me a other kit from Dragon, the old STUG III G release with kit number 9014?

Regards
[/IMG]
The features of this ALKETT Arnhem StuG include:

-Alkett type Zimmerit
-Driving wheels without hubcaps
-Pressed fender supports (like on the Tamiya hull)
-Gun crutch
-Stovage rack around the engine deck (and the wooden box on this unit)
-Late fighting compartment roof with
A)bolt heads instead of screw heads
B)loaders hatch covers opening to the sides
C)the place for the (not installed) Rundumfeuer MG blocked from bellow
D)Extra armour in front of the (non rotating) commanders cupola
F)Blocked(?)hole for the close defence weapon

The pierced all metal track return roller without ribs would be the most common to this wehicle.

The way I have understood is that none of the latest generation (superb) Dragon StuGs offer the Alkett type pressed fender supports(?). My friend is building a May'44 vehicle from the Dragon (Alkett) Zimmerited StuH kit, but he still had to scratch build the correct type fender supports. I am still playing with some Tamiya kits but ONLY because I already have them!

The mentioned CMK aftermarket kit is an OK addition to an Alkett vehicle project, but the driving wheel halves are ment for the Tamiya kit sprockets and the "Saukopfblende" could be a bit better... Modelkasten makes good driving wheels...

Cheers,
Pekka

February 24th, 2012, 2:41 pm #4

Hello,

Regards
[/IMG]
H., I have a large spare-parts box for StuG., let me know what you want and I will send them to you. -MB

February 24th, 2012, 7:37 pm #5

hey im looking for a sdz 250 mg shield for a stug project if u have one by chance

February 24th, 2012, 9:42 pm #6

Hello,

Regards
[/IMG]
Yes, the old 'Imperial' series kits 9014 etc (StuG 42 and StuH late) are still pretty good, cheap on ebay now.

Whilst I wouldn't build them outright in the light of the latest Smartkits, their gunbox roofs, barrel clamp and fender supports, return rollers and even the rear interlocked hull top can be raided easily to help make the Early Smartkit into later versions as the old kits' GunzeSangyo basis was dimensionally sound, their main drawback being the hull with fixed suspension arms.

February 24th, 2012, 10:36 pm #7

Hello,

Regards
[/IMG]
Hi there, if you can get your hands on one of these old Imperial kits, everything you need to make an Alkett version is in the box. Check this out.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/t ... on+StuH+42

February 27th, 2012, 11:47 am #8

Yes, the old 'Imperial' series kits 9014 etc (StuG 42 and StuH late) are still pretty good, cheap on ebay now.

Whilst I wouldn't build them outright in the light of the latest Smartkits, their gunbox roofs, barrel clamp and fender supports, return rollers and even the rear interlocked hull top can be raided easily to help make the Early Smartkit into later versions as the old kits' GunzeSangyo basis was dimensionally sound, their main drawback being the hull with fixed suspension arms.
I concur. There are still some usefull parts on the old Gunze ALKETT StuG.

I would say that the main weaknesses of the Gunze/Revell/Dragon kit are in the wheels. All of them. The smartkit idlers are far more superior to the Gunze ones, even the Tamiya roadwheels beat the Gunze wheels and the Gunze driving wheels lack the no-hubcap-option. And the OK-looking return rollers have a huge gap between the discs.

...and the kit upper hull tail plate is too tall and there is something funny at the very nose, in front of the hatches. And the height of the fighting compartment...

But like said, there is plenty of "Alkett" and "late" parts to confiscate from the kit. The driving wheels must come from an other source though.

Cheers,
Pekka

February 27th, 2012, 6:14 pm #9

Yes Pekka, I wouldn't use anything except the parts I listed, other than the late roof is still useable for a very late 5-pilz example if one can source or scratchbuild a decent rundumfeuer mounting. The return rollers are easy to amend. The other bits too need a little tlc given their age, but you have a good basis to update any early Smartkit into the later variants. Yes, bin the wheels (and everything else), but we ARE only talking a parts mule after all. An Arnhem Alkett StuG would be the ideal crosskit as it doesn't even need the rundumfeuer fitted, so everything else in the box.

I have the GS kit (it weighs a ton with all that scrap metal, but some of that white plastic is still crisper than the Dragon remoulds, same goes for the GS panther kits). And 3 of the old Imperial kits (1 x StuG 42 , 2 x StuH late, #9048 I think), plus the StuH kit even has the no-hubcap drivers and factory toolrack in PE. Though the Model Kasten drivers are even better if you can get hold of any - I stocked up years ago but MK stuff is getting hard to find.

One day I might get to build another one! Now the Late StuG IV is slated by Dragon for release soon (complete with rundumfeuer) you can bet it won't be long before 'that' roof appears on a late StuG.IIIG... but that still leaves us plenty of 'mids' to model.

Btw, crosskitting the 'other way' I had some thoughts as regards the old DML IV/70 series (CH's Johann Huber and Revell's Jagdpanther IV). I have measured these against the newies (the DML IV/70 and the just-arrived w/zimmerit version) and it's apparent that they can still be built into excellent renditions given some time and PE, as the dimensions (particularly the gunbox) are practically identical. Basically the wonderful w/zimmerit kit 6589 contains a whole new extra sprue with all the zimmed bits on it, so there's enough spares (glacis top, front and hatches, mantlet collar, hull rear plates, mudguards etc) to help upgrade the earlier kits. Bless you Dragon.

Ron

February 27th, 2012, 9:58 pm #10

hey im looking for a sdz 250 mg shield for a stug project if u have one by chance
Have plenty of them. e-mail me: nashorn1944@hotmail.com