Help with rubber tires

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Help with rubber tires

Dan Reed
Dan Reed

September 6th, 2004, 1:44 pm #1

I'm building AFV's PaK 40 which has rubber tires-can these be painted, do they need to be primed, etc? Thanks, Dan

ian sadler
ian sadler

September 6th, 2004, 6:06 pm #2

Hi , if you seal the rim of the wheels with a coat of PVA Glue mixed 50-50 with water, leave to harden , then do the same to the rubber tyre , you should have no problems with painting the tyre and the rubber re acting to the plastic cheers ian

Mark Dunck
Mark Dunck

September 9th, 2004, 12:11 pm #3

I'm building AFV's PaK 40 which has rubber tires-can these be painted, do they need to be primed, etc? Thanks, Dan
Dan,

When I built my Tamiya Famo (Also has rubber tires) I went out to the garden, pushed aside enough top soil to where it was slightly moist. I then rolled the tires back and forth. And put them on their sides and rubbed into the dirt some more. When I was done I lightly brushed them off. When I compared them to my cars (real car not a model ) old dirty tires they were practically the same in color. I did not use any paint on them, nor did I try to seal them, but I don't touch them so it should not be a problem.

Mark

Dan Reed
Dan Reed

September 9th, 2004, 1:28 pm #4

Thanks guys! Dan