help w/ ground work

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

help w/ ground work

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

June 10th, 2002, 2:48 pm #1

I have been doing dioramas for a while now but still have problems getting realistic ground work. As a result most of my dios are in built up area. I want to know what others use to make realistic ground work (ie. small bushes, twigs, and other growth). It looks like some people use real twigs and stuff like that, how is this done. Any help would be great. The more ideas the better.

Thanks Bart.

frank glackin
frank glackin

June 10th, 2002, 10:48 pm #2

Check out Docs Dios in the articles section. Thats where I got started from. Great site.

http://fp.docdio.f9.co.uk/page/homepage.htm

Scott Lodder
Scott Lodder

June 11th, 2002, 7:43 pm #3

I have been doing dioramas for a while now but still have problems getting realistic ground work. As a result most of my dios are in built up area. I want to know what others use to make realistic ground work (ie. small bushes, twigs, and other growth). It looks like some people use real twigs and stuff like that, how is this done. Any help would be great. The more ideas the better.

Thanks Bart.
The docdios site is great. I do use twigs, rocks, gravel, etc. One big source is the local craft stores dried flower section. You can find all kinds of different plant items. Don't stop at looking at the top of the item. Look down the stems and think of all the possible uses for the entire plant/flower.
I definitely use the 'Spice' Method for covering trees. Model your tree using whatevery seafoam, moss, item. Then give it a coat of spay glue and sprinkle aregano, parsley, ... whatever spice you feel fits the job.
Ever since I started Dio's I always walk through a park, spice section, craft store with the question - "How can I use that in a Dio?" or "How would this look in 1/35 scale?"

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

June 12th, 2002, 12:08 am #4

So, is everything painted or is some stuff left with out paint. Whats best? Do you paint the twigs and trees made from the spices?

keith forsyth
keith forsyth

June 12th, 2002, 10:45 am #5

Hi Bart

As others have said keep an eye out every where as there a loads of natural items that are complete gems for building dioramas.

IMOA the more diversity you have the more natural the setting will look.so try to vary the different types and shapes.

As a general rule i always paint everything on the diorama that way can get a uniform look to the whole scene. the other problem you may find with not painting is that natural products will turn brown with age so suddenly your spring/summer diorama then looks like an autum one. The aging and brown effect can be slowed down by covering the item with varnish but you still have the problem that it may not look right against the painted models, which could ruin the effect you are tring to achieve

regards

keith forsyth

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

June 12th, 2002, 1:45 pm #6