Help Please- Tim Neate maybe?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Help Please- Tim Neate maybe?

October 4th, 2011, 10:01 am #1

Hi Guys

I have just got a small-scale kit of the Chieftain AVLB. This is a model of the Mark 6 Bridgelayer which has been modified to operate with the BR90 System. I would like to know what is necessary to backdate the kit so that it will be correct to be used with the older No8 and No9 Bridges.
I believe that Mr Tim Neate made the master for CMSC, so perhaps he could help me?

TIA

DENNIS

October 4th, 2011, 3:41 pm #2

HI Dennis

ok
MK6 is a Mk2 gun tank converted into a AVLB where a Mk5 were special builds.
main differences.
1 tower was lowered and the support arms on the tower for the scissoring rods changed
2 rear Saddle is totally different
3 wedges on side of boom

What period are you looking for i.e. late 80s when we first got them and they were fitted with mine ploughs ..Gulf War one or Bosnia when they changed during the tour to BR90.

they can carry both old and new type of bridges.

some of the stowage was different as well i know mine was . i.e. on mine i had a spare 25lts of oil next to the tower strapped in engine .
i always had the no8 bridge clamped together and clamped down at the back
if i can help just ask
Ossie

October 4th, 2011, 5:05 pm #3

Hi Ossie,

Should have guessed that you would respond quickly. I intent to build a Mk6 with BR90 No10 Bridge the same as my son let me drive at Perham Down in the year 2000. Also I will build a Mk6 with No8 Bridge that I managed to get a cabby at Al Jubial at the end of Gulf 1. What do you mean by wedges on the side of the boom (please remember I was REME - Royal Engineers with More Experience - not a Sapper like my son)? I have loads of photos which I took during Gulf 1, so have plenty of reference for the rear saddle. Another question as to the rear saddle for No8&9 bridges, was the side extensions horizontal for the No8 and vertical for the No9, as maybe I will be able to build another AVLB with a No9 bridge. I have managed to accumulate three Chieftain Bridgelayers, and No8, No9 and No10 bridges, but the bridges themselves will require a bit of work,(Don't think that they are in 35 scale though but came from CMSC).
PS I hope to be in Bovvy in the late Spring or early Summer next year, maybe we could meet at a time to suit you?
Many Thanks
DENNIS

October 4th, 2011, 7:09 pm #4

hi mate

sappers rule
yes saddle was extended for no 9.
wedges are on the side of the front part of the boom .
the bridges would be a lot to build in 1/35 and there is items to change.

let me know when you come to Bovvy and we can catch up then
ask if you need anything.
my AVLB was 01FD48 . 01FD58
Ossie

October 5th, 2011, 6:18 pm #5

Thanks for that Ossie, I will keep in touch and I look forward to Bovvy next year.
All The Best

DENNIS

October 9th, 2011, 11:10 am #6

Hi Guys

I have just got a small-scale kit of the Chieftain AVLB. This is a model of the Mark 6 Bridgelayer which has been modified to operate with the BR90 System. I would like to know what is necessary to backdate the kit so that it will be correct to be used with the older No8 and No9 Bridges.
I believe that Mr Tim Neate made the master for CMSC, so perhaps he could help me?

TIA

DENNIS
Hi Dennis
Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, I've not been online for a few days.

During 1995, modifications were started on both Mk 5 and Mk 6 AVLBs to accommodate the new BR 90 Close Support bridges (No 10, No 11, and No 12). The main areas of change on the AVLB are the bridge rear support assembly and the antenna tower behind the commanders position. The new rear bridge support is a more substantial structure than the original, with a hand operated hydraulic pump to adjust the support height for different bridges. The ends of the rear bridge support can be hinged up to support the bridge in a higher position to allow access to the engine decks. Extensions stowed under the ends can increase the height further if required. There are also a number of pins stowed on the rear support for locking it in the various positions. During the initial introduction of the new BR 90 close support bridges, AVLBs continued to use the old No 8 and No 9 bridges, and sometimes mixing old and new on the same exercise.

Here are a few comparison photos of the areas of change, I hope they help.

October 10th, 2011, 6:22 pm #7

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your perfect reply. It is exactly what I was looking for, and now I can get on with building my small fleet of Chieftain Bridgelayers. I could ask for no more than what you sent.
Again, Many Thanks
DENNIS