Help identifying Sherman

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Help identifying Sherman

May 2nd, 2012, 9:17 am #1

I found this Sherman in a book I bought at the Moson Show. And I plan on building this Sherman using the Tasca M4A3(76)w. But I would love to get some help on identifying the Sherman and also help with identifying all the pieces applied to the tank.

The image caption reads: "US 8th Armoured division Shermans pause at Bergerhausen, Germany. "

So my questions are:

1. Witch markings should I use?
2. Is it wooden plankings applied with bolts to the tower?
3. Have they salvaged plating from a German tank with camouflage intact for the side armour? And how would the have fasten it, because it dousent look welded on?
4. Is it Growlers hanging in front of the sandbags, are there any manufacturer of these in 1/35th scale?

Thanks a lot. No copyright infringement intended.

May 2nd, 2012, 10:29 am #2

It's not from 8th Armored Division. It's the tank of Lt. Charlie Looney, 3rd Platoon, Co. C, 740th Tank Battalion.

Lester Plaskitt did a lovely rendition of this tank which won at MFCA some years ago. I think it was entitled "Looks like rain again". He covered the model in detail in Military Modelling Vol. 40 #11. This model used to be in the COnstructive COmments section of ML, but I think the photo links are dead by now.

May 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm #3

Found the magazine and ordered a copy. Thank You.

Call me boring but I find this particular tank to intriguing to let go, and I want to have a go at creating my own rendition of the tank I could read the first page of the article in the magazine preview and he mentioned you had more and clearer pictures of the tank. Are any of these pictures published in any of your books?