hedgrerows

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

hedgrerows

james cosides
james cosides

August 28th, 2004, 2:26 am #1

i am looking for suggestions for hedgerow material.any idea's ?

August 28th, 2004, 8:47 am #2

Hi James,
I think I would go for a combination of roots, from plants from your (or someone elses) garden, and seafoam. This way you can create nice dense hedgerows. You can also add different (chopped) herbes to represent leaves.

Good luck

Mark

Rick Purdy
Rick Purdy

August 28th, 2004, 5:03 pm #3

a previous post in one of these DG's offered up painted steel wool,roots,herbs/seasonings combo for hedgerow.included pics that were pretty impressive.Worth a shot anyway.
cheers-n-beers
Rick

Zach Fox
Zach Fox

August 29th, 2004, 6:05 pm #4

Do a quick search of the diorama forum, I know this topic has come up numerous times.

Steve Kundrat
Steve Kundrat

August 31st, 2004, 5:12 am #5

Rubberized horsehair (available online from some apholstery shops) makes excellent bushes and headgerow substructure.

It is normally used as a form of padding in cushions and such, but given it's dense "weaving," it gives the appearance of tighly packed yet thin branches found in bushes and such. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't really have any pattern to it, giving it that random quality found in nature. It's also fairly cheap, price-wise.

You'll probably have to paint it (I'd suggest spray or airbrushing, if possible) since it often comes in colors such as bright blue. After that, just add a trunk of sorts (perhaps the roots of some weeds) and some foliage to it.

Another alternative, also available from upholstery stores is coconut fiber.

--Steve

Jay Benson
Jay Benson

August 31st, 2004, 2:44 pm #6

Do you know which online stores sell the rubberized horse hair? I have been interested in obtaining some since I read the Osprey book on scenery.

Steve Kundrat
Steve Kundrat

September 1st, 2004, 4:45 am #7

Beacon Fabric & Notions in South Pasadena, Florida, USA was where I bought mine from. Bought it through their website at www.beaconfabric.com

It was about $3.99/foot US when I purchased it about six months ago. They called it "Rubberized Curled Hair" but it is the same stuff.

Shipping is relatively inexpensive considering how light weight it is.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Mike Barnett
Mike Barnett

September 11th, 2004, 8:47 pm #8

If you're considering building the types of hedgerows found in the Normandy bocage, don't forget the earthen banks out of which the vegetation grew. Some were quite high (even 6-8 ft.) and others were wide enough to have foot paths down the center! There are numerous descriptions of these in the literature of the Normandy campaign.
HTH -Mike

Ian Stapley
Ian Stapley

October 29th, 2004, 2:58 pm #9

Do you know which online stores sell the rubberized horse hair? I have been interested in obtaining some since I read the Osprey book on scenery.
I have seen rubberised horsehair used as packing material sometimes aswell. It pays to keep an eye open around hardwar shops and so forth.

And the things that turn up in skips (dumpsters in US) can often be quite versatile.