Heading to Milwaukee on Monday

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Heading to Milwaukee on Monday

July 15th, 2012, 12:13 pm #1

Heading to Milwaukee on Monday; Plan on eating some Polish food and seeing the brew crew get stomped on by our beloved Cardinals. What else must I see or do?
Chris

July 15th, 2012, 3:52 pm #2

I've gone to a few of the hooby stores. One (I think Happy Hobbies) had a lot of old kits and was fun from the nostalgia standpoint.

The Harley Davidson Museum is a lot of fun, and has a fair numbers of restored WW2 motorcycles.

Milwaukee is a great beer town, so I would recommend a brew tour. Last time I was there for 4 July 4, we went to Miller and Sprecher. Miller is fine if you want to see an industrial grade brewery. The Sprecher tour is OK, with the beer after the tour better than the tour itself; you need reservations. My favorite tour is Lake Front Brewery. A gritty micro-brew joint, but our tour-guide was excellent and the tour was the most interesting of the bunch.

I don't know about Polish food in Milwaukee, never found anything too special (plenty of good German food though). A trip to the Third Ward area downtown is great for food; lots of brew/burger joints. Outside the Third Ward, I like the Calderone Club for pizza, and Roots for more up-scale (expensive) dining.

July 15th, 2012, 7:06 pm #3

Heading to Milwaukee on Monday; Plan on eating some Polish food and seeing the brew crew get stomped on by our beloved Cardinals. What else must I see or do?
Chris
Get some Brats and Smoked bacon. and don't forget the CHEESE when in Wisconsin always buy cheese love dem Grubers .

Doug Kinder
"We rock at dawn on the front line
Like a bolt right out of the blue"
AC/DC
Last edited by kpc26 on July 16th, 2012, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 15th, 2012, 7:22 pm #4

Chris
Greenfield News and Hobby is the best hobby store in town. The Happy Hobby stores are kinda crappy, as Steve says there is a lot of stuff in them but they are pretty run down and the managers can be a trip too.

Speaking of run down just over the Illinois State line on I-94 is the Russell Military museum some nice pieces of armor with a lot of stuff just rusting away.

Thanks

Dave Schemel

Improving my modeling one mistake at a time.

www.justplanestuff.net

July 15th, 2012, 7:56 pm #5

Chris
which is Algonquin for "the good land." So says Alice Cooper who goes there quite often.

GD

July 15th, 2012, 8:23 pm #6

Chris
Chris,
Definitely have to agree with Dave and Steve. Happy Hobby definitely is Nostalgic and a little bit under the weather.
You should of dropped me email and let me know, I could of got you a great rate at the Hotel my wife manages in Racine just outside of MIlwaukee. Just let me know, I can make some time if you need a brief tour guide. Even take to Greenfield News & Hobby & both Happy Hobbies time permitting. Let me know your schedule and will go from there if you want to. Drop me a line.

Marko

July 15th, 2012, 9:36 pm #7

Chris
Thanks Guys!

Steve
Most of the micro-Brewery tours are on the weekends only! That totally sucks!
However we do plan on eating a ton of food and the Polish place is Polonez Restaurant
http://www.polonezrestaurant.com/

We will spend three days in Milwaukee area and are staying in Waukesha close to Kalmbach Publishing.

Again; Thanks a million for the suggestions.
Marko drop me an e-mail with your telephone number.
Mrosko

July 19th, 2012, 7:58 pm #8

to wash it down. say hello to Lenny and Squiggy while you're there.