Halbe King Tiger

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Halbe King Tiger

May 14th, 2012, 8:25 pm #1

Hi Everyone

the Halbe King Tiger is now done. It is finished as the vehicle of Ernst Streng from schwere SS Panzerabteilung 502. My vignette shows the tank spearheading an attack against one of the many russian road blocks in the forests west of Halbe.

The battle damage is modeled according to Strengs eyewitness account and given that the King Tiger is in the middle of intense combat, the damage is still fresh, not nicely rusted over (an unpopular thing in the plastic world). Strengs tank was hit by an incendiary round (white phosphorus) during the night fighting inside Halbe village. Without any reference about real phosphor burns on armor, I tried to show the traces as best as I could.

With few vehicles left, the remaining ones, including the King Tigers, were used to carry wounded soldiers. Constant artillery fire, air attacks and tree bursts in particular, led to further carnage among those in exposed places. According to Streng the engine deck of his tank was slippery from blood whenever they had to unload the wounded prior to an attack. I decided to show this blood on my model because it conveys the drama and the human side of the battle.

regards

Stefan

a few more pictures can be seen here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/stefanbernet

May 14th, 2012, 8:45 pm #2

Very very etc good looking KT. The cammo is sort of spot on
Seriously - Very well done. Both terrain and tank.
It Capture a good felling of the scenario you earlier described.

Cheers Hampus Nilsson

No tigers like Fehrmann Tigers.
Last edited by Carnageinc on May 14th, 2012, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 11:38 pm #3

Hi Everyone

the Halbe King Tiger is now done. It is finished as the vehicle of Ernst Streng from schwere SS Panzerabteilung 502. My vignette shows the tank spearheading an attack against one of the many russian road blocks in the forests west of Halbe.

The battle damage is modeled according to Strengs eyewitness account and given that the King Tiger is in the middle of intense combat, the damage is still fresh, not nicely rusted over (an unpopular thing in the plastic world). Strengs tank was hit by an incendiary round (white phosphorus) during the night fighting inside Halbe village. Without any reference about real phosphor burns on armor, I tried to show the traces as best as I could.

With few vehicles left, the remaining ones, including the King Tigers, were used to carry wounded soldiers. Constant artillery fire, air attacks and tree bursts in particular, led to further carnage among those in exposed places. According to Streng the engine deck of his tank was slippery from blood whenever they had to unload the wounded prior to an attack. I decided to show this blood on my model because it conveys the drama and the human side of the battle.

regards

Stefan

Great work Stefan...its like I can smell the fresh pine sap and fractionally distilled aromatic hydrocarbons from here.

GD
Last edited by Graeme Davidson on May 16th, 2012, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 11:53 pm #4

Excellent build and the same for the paint job.

mld

May 15th, 2012, 12:28 am #5

From reading the book a while back, at least KT trying for the breakout refueled with diesel at a radio station(??) all but ruining the engine.
Now I'll have to dig out the book and double check...

Mike

May 15th, 2012, 1:20 am #6

Read somewhere it was ether? probably ran like a bat out of hell till the pistons fried!
Armor Battles of the Waffen SS pg.304,just checked,it WAS ether.Gorgeouus work,captures the written description evocatively.

May 15th, 2012, 2:26 pm #7

Hi Everyone

regards

Stefan

This stuff is awesome!
The tiger IIB looks so great in hard edge ambush camo! But I have to admit that the shredded pines look so great that they nearly steal it the show.
I just noticed the "wolfsangel" of "Das Reich" on the right front, I allways thought the last tigers were bare of any divisional markings - not beeig sure about that tho.
Very very great diorama!

May 15th, 2012, 3:15 pm #8

Nice looking vehicle and ground work
Lester

May 15th, 2012, 5:21 pm #9

This stuff is awesome!
The tiger IIB looks so great in hard edge ambush camo! But I have to admit that the shredded pines look so great that they nearly steal it the show.
I just noticed the "wolfsangel" of "Das Reich" on the right front, I allways thought the last tigers were bare of any divisional markings - not beeig sure about that tho.
Very very great diorama!
Hi Jarg
I also read that in threads around here. But I wanted some markings and took some artistic license with the Wolfsangel.
Having said this, the reference about sSS 502 is very scant. Most infos you find are generalisations, like the one about divisional markings
on late Tiger II's. A researcher gave me the turret number 223 for Streng's tank. However 502 is also known for missing numbers on many of it's King Tigers. So without any picture of the actual vehicle confirming the presence of numbers, the number is also a kind of artistic license.

After all there is a reason why Streng's tank has not been built thousands of times like the Peiper's 007 and 008.

cheers

Stefan

May 15th, 2012, 5:28 pm #10

Hi Everyone

regards

Stefan

Thanks guys!
Capturing the atmosphere of the story was my main goal
with this one and the ground over which the battle was fought is as important as the tank itself in achieving it.

cheers

Stefan