Hairspray???

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Hairspray???

April 27th, 2017, 2:45 pm #1

I have been hearing about hairspray use by modellers.
Is it to keep out hair extra poofy after a long day hunched over a kit? Or is there a practical use?
I do realise poofy hair is practical for some, so no offense meant.

Gord

May 3rd, 2017, 9:36 am #2

The gist of it is to reproduce worn, chipped paint effects, and/or faded/worn winter camo whitewash with the base colours showing through...

Briefly: paint base colour primer, apply barrier varnish, allow to completely dry.

Then apply the hairspray (or several mfrs have chipping mediums) and then your topcoat, & distress to taste.

these youtube videos give a better explaination
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hiars ... +technique

May 3rd, 2017, 3:58 pm #3

Psst indeed!
Sounds very intriguing and I will watch the videos today. I have been very impressed with the look of a couple of CMP's models with the paint heavily chipped and worn.
The chipping looks great when well done but I do wonder at the level of the effect on active AFV's or in fact any military vehicle other than wrecks and derelicts.
A lot of the maintenance that would involve bolt tightening and such would have been done out of service and then any exposed metal would have been re-painted.
When I was in the reserves we were taught that rust was death and any exposed metal was usually painted that day.
I guess that's what you mean by "to taste".

Gord