GROUP BUILD 2017.3 - RECCE - Week 6 of 22...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

GROUP BUILD 2017.3 - RECCE - Week 6 of 22...

September 13th, 2017, 10:44 am #1

Last week was another week of interesting builds, hopefully this week will also show a few more entries for the Group Build. Now that the Summer is behind us and we head into the darker nights (well here in the Northern Hemisphere) there will be a few more people taking part, as modelling takes over from outdoor pastimes. So, gentlemen, can we have any updates you have please....

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

September 13th, 2017, 11:27 am #2

Here's my progress so far.
My Ba-10 got a couple more holes and a new barrel. The next step is boxing it up and working on the exterior. I'll need to reconstruct one vision slit cover as it fell apart during removal.

The S-Model Jeep is an amazing little kit. The tiny parts are a bit of a challenge to come off the sprue in one piece but nothing tragic happened yet. I'll work on the MG support and the radio next.

The carriers are going a bit slow. I'm in the process of sanding down the side walls - not a big deal with IBG but on the PSC kit I'll have to fill the gaps. My plan is to use some spare bits from one of my old carrier builds to dress up the PSC one. There's still the problem to make up some crew figs that will fit inside...

That's it for now. We'll see which one will be ready first.
Cheers
Piotr

September 13th, 2017, 12:34 pm #3

Last week was another week of interesting builds, hopefully this week will also show a few more entries for the Group Build. Now that the Summer is behind us and we head into the darker nights (well here in the Northern Hemisphere) there will be a few more people taking part, as modelling takes over from outdoor pastimes. So, gentlemen, can we have any updates you have please....

All the best,

Paul
Started on the interior of the Sd. Kfz. 250/9. Unlike the 250/1, most of the interior will be blocked out by the turret and gun mount so I skimped a lot on details - just the minimum (for example, even though parts are included for the driver's panel, radio and steering wheel/controls, I left them all off). Looking at the rear of the vehicle first the main feature is the ammo boxes for the 20 mm cannon (sorry for the blurred pic):

I should mention that the roof piece took a LOT of work to get it so that it would fit correctly on the hull. Sections from two sides were cut away and the considerable gaps were filled with pieces of plastic strip, putty and gallons of gap-filling superglue! On the right side is the spare MG 34:

On the left is the fire extinguisher and gas masks:

I cut out the rear door so as to model it open - so most of the rear details will be visible.

The cable comes from Eureka XXL. The clamps were scratchbuilt. I also scratchbuilt the door (which will be left off until after painting) since the one that was cut from the model was way too thick as well as having mangled edges.

Progress is slow but steady. Despite all the extra work and headaches I am actually starting to develop a real fondness for these two little builds - kind of like a special needs child who needs extra love and attention! See you again next week...
Last edited by Kevin Tong on September 13th, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 4:19 pm #4

All the best,

Paul
Hi all

At same time as my 223 build, I'm starting an Italeri ABM 42 Sahariana metropolitana.

Kit sprues

Wheel tub

Gun mount detailed with open some spots

Spare wheel in epoxy

Primer and sand color done. Starting Green camo color.

Thanks for viewing
Last edited by VladMad on September 13th, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 6:43 pm #5

Nice to see this cool kit in the making. I like the front wheel and gun detailing - the gun was indeed simplified and deserves your treatment. Was this the one where the spare wheel had a different pattern that the other tires or was that the Breda armed one?

Cheers
Piotr

September 13th, 2017, 6:48 pm #6

Started on the interior of the Sd. Kfz. 250/9. Unlike the 250/1, most of the interior will be blocked out by the turret and gun mount so I skimped a lot on details - just the minimum (for example, even though parts are included for the driver's panel, radio and steering wheel/controls, I left them all off). Looking at the rear of the vehicle first the main feature is the ammo boxes for the 20 mm cannon (sorry for the blurred pic):

I should mention that the roof piece took a LOT of work to get it so that it would fit correctly on the hull. Sections from two sides were cut away and the considerable gaps were filled with pieces of plastic strip, putty and gallons of gap-filling superglue! On the right side is the spare MG 34:

I cut out the rear door so as to model it open - so most of the rear details will be visible.

The cable comes from Eureka XXL. The clamps were scratchbuilt. I also scratchbuilt the door (which will be left off until after painting) since the one that was cut from the model was way too thick as well as having mangled edges.

Progress is slow but steady. Despite all the extra work and headaches I am actually starting to develop a real fondness for these two little builds - kind of like a special needs child who needs extra love and attention! See you again next week...
ACE kits don't sell themselves cheap, it's always a bit of a fight. Your effort seems to be paying off, your halftracks are moving closer and closer to completion. Good luck.

Cheers
Piotr

September 13th, 2017, 8:34 pm #7

hi kevin,
great job you are doing on the 250. you will come out on top,just takes a bit of fiddeling. i really like the interior updates and scratch details you make on each of them.
keep it up, almost there

September 13th, 2017, 8:36 pm #8

Here's my progress so far.
My Ba-10 got a couple more holes and a new barrel. The next step is boxing it up and working on the exterior. I'll need to reconstruct one vision slit cover as it fell apart during removal.

The S-Model Jeep is an amazing little kit. The tiny parts are a bit of a challenge to come off the sprue in one piece but nothing tragic happened yet. I'll work on the MG support and the radio next.

The carriers are going a bit slow. I'm in the process of sanding down the side walls - not a big deal with IBG but on the PSC kit I'll have to fill the gaps. My plan is to use some spare bits from one of my old carrier builds to dress up the PSC one. There's still the problem to make up some crew figs that will fit inside...

That's it for now. We'll see which one will be ready first.
Cheers
Piotr
hello piotr,
nice update of your builds!

September 13th, 2017, 8:39 pm #9

Nice to see this cool kit in the making. I like the front wheel and gun detailing - the gun was indeed simplified and deserves your treatment. Was this the one where the spare wheel had a different pattern that the other tires or was that the Breda armed one?

Cheers
Piotr
Hi Piotr.

Thanks for your comments.

This is 47/32 breda gun. Front wheel was same pattern than others, but it was only half wheel. Is for this, I made wheel tub

September 13th, 2017, 9:23 pm #10

Hey Kevin;

Great work so far. Keep up the good work. The ACE kits do grow on you. You will get a lot of personal satisfaction when you finish these. Tim Treadway