Groundwork materials?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Groundwork materials?

September 23rd, 2004, 8:53 pm #1

Hi guys, I do not really want to use celluclay anymore, messy and does not do what I want it to. What is a good substitute? what do you guys use? I am just doing small bases and dios

Thanks Tony

jack fisher
jack fisher

September 24th, 2004, 1:31 am #2

sculptamold is a better substitute doesn't crack when dry or have any of the other problems that celluclay. Get it at hobby lobby

September 24th, 2004, 8:12 am #3

Hi guys, I do not really want to use celluclay anymore, messy and does not do what I want it to. What is a good substitute? what do you guys use? I am just doing small bases and dios

Thanks Tony
Hi Tony

I have found that celluclay is still useful specially when you want finer detail - tank tracks / small buildings or strength for holding "trees" in place.

For more widespread coverage I have found that tile grouting cement works well. It has good coverage and does not crack like some Polyfilla materials when used in thin sections. You can even get coloured grouting now! Adding some white glue to this mix also aids bonding and allows you to add some early foilage or other pre-groundwork.

I would recommend using a grouting or paste for main coverage followed up by celluclay for more detailed sculpting

Regards
Mike Campbell

Dan Agin
Dan Agin

September 26th, 2004, 7:25 am #4

Thanks Tony
I use a glue and sand mixture that once dries is rock hard and doesn't crack.

Rob Plas
Rob Plas

September 30th, 2004, 3:53 am #5

Thanks Tony
This little article might be helpfull:

http://missing-lynx.com/articles/dio/di ... bplas.html

hth
Rob

Tony Perrotta
Tony Perrotta

October 1st, 2004, 6:55 pm #6

Thanks Tony
thanks guys, I will try them all sooner or later.
Rob, no shrinkage with this stuff??

Tony

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 5th, 2004, 9:20 am #7

Thanks Tony
I haven't read the other replies so I apologize for repeating.

I primarily use Scuplt-a-mold. It's similar to celluclay but does not shrink and it dries quickly. Use a 50% mixture of water to white glue.

How about plain dirt? Mix some very fine soil with white glue. Or very fine sand. Neither require much painting.

Another idea is to use Joint Compound or spackle. You can mix acrylic paint right into the compound for color and use dirt, sand, grass and even coffee grounds for texture.

Steve

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

October 5th, 2004, 9:21 am #8

That was me. Hit the post button before I added in name, etc.