Ground work help

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Ground work help

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

December 15th, 2001, 9:25 pm #1

I need some help and advice, guys. I'm looking for an alternative to using Celluclay as my ground work. I'm tired of the stuff shrinking on my bases. I could deal with it cracking, but the shrinking and curling is driving me nuts.

I remember in some previous posts that some of you have used pollyfilla, but I can't seem to find it here in the States. What is it? Does it have a different name here? Is there something similar that I can use?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Matt Tingley
Matt Tingley

December 15th, 2001, 9:42 pm #2

I've never had problems with curling or crakcing. Just curious.

khaled el adem
khaled el adem

December 15th, 2001, 11:32 pm #3

I need some help and advice, guys. I'm looking for an alternative to using Celluclay as my ground work. I'm tired of the stuff shrinking on my bases. I could deal with it cracking, but the shrinking and curling is driving me nuts.

I remember in some previous posts that some of you have used pollyfilla, but I can't seem to find it here in the States. What is it? Does it have a different name here? Is there something similar that I can use?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
hello i am from lebanon, a fan of ww2 diorama, i think you will have to add a litle of lemon juice in the mixt so the time of hardening will be long.
and if you want you can add to the celluclay some find sand + some plaster . this is the way i work it
ok?

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

December 16th, 2001, 12:39 am #4

I've never had problems with curling or crakcing. Just curious.
I mix the celluclay with water and some white glue. I use a food processor to really get the stuff mixed well.

Then, I use white glue when I apply it to the base. The base, I might add, is pine. I stain it, then apply two coats of Spar Urethane to seal it.

Steve

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

December 16th, 2001, 12:41 am #5

hello i am from lebanon, a fan of ww2 diorama, i think you will have to add a litle of lemon juice in the mixt so the time of hardening will be long.
and if you want you can add to the celluclay some find sand + some plaster . this is the way i work it
ok?
I hadn't heard of using this. This really prevents it from curling and cracking? How much jice do you add?

Steve

Kevin Keefe
Kevin Keefe

December 16th, 2001, 6:43 pm #6

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steve,

I gave up on Celluclay's shrinking and curling a long time ago. Switched over to a similar product called Sculptamold and have really been happy with that. I have noticed NO shrinking, nor has any of my ground works curled over the years. It mixes the same way, comes in a good size bag and will last a long time. I use about a 75% mix of white glue to water, and although it still takes time to air-dry, I don't think that it takes as long as Celluclay does to dry. Dries real hard too. Only draw-back (if you can call it that) is that it is very white. I swear by the stuff!

Not sure where you're located, but it is available in Marlborough Massachusetts at the Spare Time Shop.

HTH,
Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
http://www.mortarsinminiature.com

Tom Terblanche
Tom Terblanche

December 18th, 2001, 10:03 pm #7

Polyfilla is used for filling cracks in cemnet walls etc. It is a powder based material that is mixed with water. It is very similar to Spackle.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ian MacAulay
Ian MacAulay

December 18th, 2001, 10:26 pm #8

I haven't got a clue if this is a cause of your problem, but anything like a food processor whips a lot of air into whatever it's mixing. Perhaps it is this air that is causing the cracking? Just a thought.
FWIW
Ian MacAulay
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Barry Beaudry
Barry Beaudry

December 23rd, 2001, 1:30 am #9

Steve,

I gave up on Celluclay's shrinking and curling a long time ago. Switched over to a similar product called Sculptamold and have really been happy with that. I have noticed NO shrinking, nor has any of my ground works curled over the years. It mixes the same way, comes in a good size bag and will last a long time. I use about a 75% mix of white glue to water, and although it still takes time to air-dry, I don't think that it takes as long as Celluclay does to dry. Dries real hard too. Only draw-back (if you can call it that) is that it is very white. I swear by the stuff!

Not sure where you're located, but it is available in Marlborough Massachusetts at the Spare Time Shop.

HTH,
Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Hello Kevin,

I love that Sculptamold, much better then Celluclay, in my humble opinion of course.

I add cheap craft store chocolate brown with black acrylic paint to darken it. It dries lighter than you expect, that is why I add the black to help darken it.

Yup love that Sculptamold.

HTH
Barry Beaudry

Kevin Keefe
Kevin Keefe

December 27th, 2001, 4:15 pm #10

Hi Barry,

Yep, that stuff is much better than Celluclay. Been using it for years.

Although I'm aware of mixing paints in to tint it some, I've never done it as I always thought that it might effect the drying process. I put it on 'as is' and give it a good coat of primer once it has dried. I even prime over the set-in stones etc, then I take it from there.

Glad to hear that you like it also. I don't know how anyone gets good results from Celluclay. I mean it looks good and all, and it's easy to work with, but the shrinkage problems associated with it (my experiences anyway) turned me off a long time ago.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe