Grass?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Grass?

Niels
Niels

August 2nd, 2001, 1:36 pm #1

Hi guys
I'm planning to build myself a diarama but I have no idea how to make tall grass, can anybody tell me?
Tanks in advance.

August 2nd, 2001, 3:03 pm #2

Hi, what you can do is use a paintbrush bristles and paint the color to match your dio and cut to length. Keep in mind that when you cut to length that it is the length you want because the ends of the bristles is the most realistic. To attach to dio you can drill hole in the base and grab a few bristles and glue into holes, or you can make a mixture of glue and putty thinned, make mixture the color of ground work and glue bristles to base. this looks very realistic. Hope this helps, I m sure others have different methods, but this works well for me
Happy modelling
George

George Newman

Jay Lelonek
Jay Lelonek

August 2nd, 2001, 6:32 pm #3

Hi guys
I'm planning to build myself a diarama but I have no idea how to make tall grass, can anybody tell me?
Tanks in advance.
You can also go to your local hobby store and look in the model railroading section for Woodland Scenics field grass which is a little tougher to work with than paint brush bristles but saves a little time.

best of luck,
Jay L.

Brian Wildfong
Brian Wildfong

August 2nd, 2001, 11:08 pm #4

Hi guys
Tanks in advance.
Niels,
I get excellent results using jute rope. I unravel the the fibres and smooth them out a bit (they keep a bit of their natural kink, which looks,well, natural for grass too). I then cut a small pile to roughly the same length, dip one end of the pile in white glue and stick it down to the base.

After waiting a few minutes, I then go back and give the just "planted" pile a gentle stir with my finger to spread the fibres out a bit and make them look like they're growing randomly (also, so my field doesn't end up looking like a series of potted plants with spaces in between them). Once dry it looks like a field of dry tall grass - no colour necessary, since the jute is already a nice golden brown - perfect for camouflaging a Tiger I !

Hope this helps,
Brian