Grass Please help

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Grass Please help

Mike Danielson
Mike Danielson

April 27th, 2001, 6:51 pm #1

Iam working on a farley large diorama and was wondring what is the best product to use for grass? i allready tried the grass u buy that comes on a sheet bur i was wondring if there was anything else that i could use and how i could put it on the base if you know could u please tell me thanks,

Mike

keith forsyth
keith forsyth

April 27th, 2001, 7:07 pm #2

Hi Mike

there are few methods for representing grass, the most popular i think is by using "static grass" (available from verlinden, custom dioramics and most railroad shops), cover the area with PVA glue/water mix then sprinkle the static grass over the area. Then by blowing on it will cause the grass to stand on end, a couple of coats of PVA glue/water and you will have a beautiful lawn in scale.

There is another product called "real grass" but ive not seen it or tried it to be able to give a opion on it.

HTH

keith forsyth

Danny Egan
Danny Egan

April 27th, 2001, 7:09 pm #3

Iam working on a farley large diorama and was wondring what is the best product to use for grass? i allready tried the grass u buy that comes on a sheet bur i was wondring if there was anything else that i could use and how i could put it on the base if you know could u please tell me thanks,

Mike
Find a product called 'static grass' available from a whole bunch of manufacturers. Spread thinned white glue (elmer's or something similar) on your base, then sprinkle the static grass over that. It may take more than one pass to get full coverage. Paint when dry, then drybrush various shades. Unpainted, it will not look very good. I usually paint mine fairly dark green, then drybrush in lighter and lighter olives. The final drybrush is almost straight yellow. Add pastel "dust" along roadsides or any bare places. Its a very easy wall to get a very nice looking base.

J.W. Cesafsky
J.W. Cesafsky

April 30th, 2001, 5:53 pm #4

Mike
Mike, if Static Grass interests you, Woodland Scenics, a railroad model supply company, makes 6 different colors of static grass, from very light tan through brown and green to very dark green. It is excellent stuff, especially when combined together, looks very realistic, and does away with the need to paint. Hope this is helpful.
JW

Mike D
Mike D

April 30th, 2001, 10:46 pm #5

Thanks for all the info. and i'll have to give it a try,

Mike