Gothic Line War Diaries

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Gothic Line War Diaries

June 5th, 2012, 10:21 pm #1

Does anyone have scans of the War Diaries for August-September 1944 for the following units that they would be willing to share? I am researching the 1st Canadian Corps in the Battle of the Gothic Line.

Lord Strathcona's Horse
Governor General's Horse Guards
British Columbia Dragoons

Royal Canadian Regiment

Royal 22e Regiment
Carleton and York Regiment
West Nova Scotia Regiment

Any help appreciated

Merlin Robinson

June 6th, 2012, 2:09 am #2

Merlin

Have you contacted the units yet , as they might be able to point you in the right direction. Contact the public affaires officer , and they should be able to help.

Anthony

June 6th, 2012, 9:20 am #3

Thanks, I did not think of that; up to now most of my own progress researching Canadian units (100 or so pages of research) has been via the regimental museum curators, who have been very helpful. I have also had the good fortune of making contact with another historian who has a large collection of Canadian regimental histories with some war diary extracts who was of huge help. Being in the GTA some units are close by, 48th Highlanders and Governor Generals Horse Guards for example. I am definitely going to take your advice when I contact the others, especially the non-local units. The most flagrant gaps are in the 3rd Infantry Brigade and 5th Armoured Brigade and I want to focus on primary sources before I boil it all down and analyse the data.
Thanks very much

merlin

June 6th, 2012, 7:24 pm #4