Gordon Brown & Cromwell Models - A Warning to all.

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Gordon Brown & Cromwell Models - A Warning to all.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:21 pm #1

Hi All,

In the interest's of public awareness,and hopefully as a deterrent .. Im posting this so everyone can get a true picture of just what Gordon Brown of Cromwell Models is capable of and what lengths he will go to,in order to keep your money,should you be foolish enough to deal with him.
I think just about everyone will have heard at some point,complaints regarding his practices.
All the usual excuses...half the family ill/the other half recovering...lost emails etc. How he manages to remain upright,let alone in buisiness,is beyond me.

Back in 2009 at Euromilitaire,I paid cash for a Cougar & Mastiff. 260 GPB sterling. Standing beside me was James Blackwell,who cautioned me at the time..advising me I was being pretty trusting given his track record. He was correct.

I recently posted an open letter to him in this forum (still viewable in the Vendors sectiohttp://www.network54.com/Forum/78968/me ... ELL+MODELS. ) which was removed because of concerns of a flame war etc. As I pointed out to the moderators at the time,removing these posts only allows him to prosper further. And amazingly...after ignoring me for two years...he replied within hours of my post.

Incredible. The same email address I had used...suddenly become's active. And all because of my post on ML. This is not a coincidence..he chose to ignore me,untill it was made public,and he was "Made aware" of my post.
Without boring you all with the ensuing ping-pong email fest which followed(copies available),he promised to send them to me after I emailed him this :

GB :"Can I please ask that you let me have a copy of the receipt as I don't have the original to hand.
Ray I will certainly do my best to clear this up for you, my memory of this order is by CC."

GB : " But now how can I argue with this receipt, I wish you had sent me this a long time ago."

Regardless of what Gordon thinks...I have a receipt for a cash payment. And a witness in the form of James Blackwell who watched me hand over the cash to his offsider at his trade stall. And still no kits.
He contends that I was paying by Credit Card. No charges have ever been made to my CC,as I paid in cash. Either way Gordon has not fullfilled his end of the contract of sale which he entered into when he accepted my money at Euro.
He has not attended Euro since. So I have been unable to address this in person,which believe me would be my prefered method.

Gordon if your reading this,or being "made aware" of this post by one of your supporters. Understand that you are committing FRAUD. In addition to this you are a LIAR and and a THIEF. Im not alone. Ray King and many others can tell an all to familiar tale. Rest asured that unless you either refund my money...or send me my kits. You WILL be dealt with Gordon.

If your even remotely considering dealing with Gordon. DONT!:

He will take your money.
He will not answer your emails.
He will make up excuse after excuse.
He will DEFRAUD you.

So a warning to all.

And a warning to Gordon. Sooner or later..you will run out of room to hide,and find yourself alone...with the people you have ripped off.

Apologies to Al and Brett and to the members of this forum,but enough is enough.
Sincerly.
Ray Blythe.

Last edited by india11 on January 24th, 2012, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:38 pm #2

After a number of constructive (and some not so constructive) emails on this subject I have decided that it is a better service to modellers to warn them of potential problems with vendors. Previously due to the flame wars we instigated a policy of banning such posts but the amount of emails recieved on the subject has convinced me to temporarily lift this ban and alert people before parting with their hard earned cash.

As such this post will stand as a trial however I ask you not to start a flame war with this and ask for constructive feedback.

Regards

Al

January 23rd, 2012, 11:50 pm #3

If properly used and not abused, allowing legitimate posts like this are a valuable service to modelers. No one likes to get ripped off.

At the very least, the exposure will help "clean out" the problem vendors sooner rather than later.

Let's keep it civil and constructive guys

Tony Matteliano
http://www.scalemodelindex.com

January 24th, 2012, 4:02 am #4

Hi All,

In the interest's of public awareness,and hopefully as a deterrent .. Im posting this so everyone can get a true picture of just what Gordon Brown of Cromwell Models is capable of and what lengths he will go to,in order to keep your money,should you be foolish enough to deal with him.
I think just about everyone will have heard at some point,complaints regarding his practices.
All the usual excuses...half the family ill/the other half recovering...lost emails etc. How he manages to remain upright,let alone in buisiness,is beyond me.

Back in 2009 at Euromilitaire,I paid cash for a Cougar & Mastiff. 260 GPB sterling. Standing beside me was James Blackwell,who cautioned me at the time..advising me I was being pretty trusting given his track record. He was correct.

I recently posted an open letter to him in this forum (still viewable in the Vendors sectiohttp://www.network54.com/Forum/78968/me ... ELL+MODELS. ) which was removed because of concerns of a flame war etc. As I pointed out to the moderators at the time,removing these posts only allows him to prosper further. And amazingly...after ignoring me for two years...he replied within hours of my post.

Incredible. The same email address I had used...suddenly become's active. And all because of my post on ML. This is not a coincidence..he chose to ignore me,untill it was made public,and he was "Made aware" of my post.
Without boring you all with the ensuing ping-pong email fest which followed(copies available),he promised to send them to me after I emailed him this :

GB :"Can I please ask that you let me have a copy of the receipt as I don't have the original to hand.
Ray I will certainly do my best to clear this up for you, my memory of this order is by CC."

GB : " But now how can I argue with this receipt, I wish you had sent me this a long time ago."

Regardless of what Gordon thinks...I have a receipt for a cash payment. And a witness in the form of James Blackwell who watched me hand over the cash to his offsider at his trade stall. And still no kits.
He contends that I was paying by Credit Card. No charges have ever been made to my CC,as I paid in cash. Either way Gordon has not fullfilled his end of the contract of sale which he entered into when he accepted my money at Euro.
He has not attended Euro since. So I have been unable to address this in person,which believe me would be my prefered method.

Gordon if your reading this,or being "made aware" of this post by one of your supporters. Understand that you are committing FRAUD. In addition to this you are a LIAR and and a THIEF. Im not alone. Ray King and many others can tell an all to familiar tale. Rest asured that unless you either refund my money...or send me my kits. You WILL be dealt with Gordon.

He will take your money.
He will DEFRAUD you.

So a warning to all.

And a warning to Gordon. Sooner or later..you will run out of room to hide,and find yourself alone...with the people you have ripped off.

Apologies to Al and Brett and to the members of this forum,but enough is enough.
Sincerly.
Ray Blythe.

After reading Ray Blythe's post, I had to respond. This is the story of my five-year struggle with Cromwell Models and Gordon Brown for an undelivered order. Please all take this a lesson for how not to purchase a product from any vendor, not just Cromwell Models.

When Gordon's 1/35 Churchills came out almost a decade now, I was instantly attracted to them. They appeared to be (I didn't have the opportunity to observe actual examples) state-of-the-art kits of the Churchill tank. Back then, a new 1/35 Churchill was sorely needed. The Tamiya kit of the Churchill was first issued in the 1970s.

On a personal level, I was always attracted to the Churchill as a modeling subject. The very first armor kit that I built as a boy was the ancient 1/48th kit produced by Aurora. At the time, I read with great interest the positive reviews of the Cromwell Churchill kits in most of the prominent modeling magazines. Let me say, I really wanted these Cromwell Churchills. My only limitation was that most of the kits sold for over £100 each. At such a price these kits were out of my financial reach. I should explain that I am a civil servant and although I am not a pauper, I did not have the means to afford a model kit that sold for about $180 USD each at the exchange rate of the time.

Fast forward to June 2006. I was just coming out of the closing of my Mom's estate (she passed in July 2005) and for once in my life; I had a little extra money to spend on something other than the daily bills. As the executor of the estate, I spent almost a year of dealing with lawyers, state governments (my state and that of my mother's), and accountants, and I was exhausted. Since I long wanted to purchase the Cromwell Churchills, I decided to have a little fun for a change and order all of the then available Cromwell Churchill kits at the same time, plus another Cromwell kit I had long wanted.

On 14 August 2006 I sent a e-mail note to Gordon and asked for a price quote for nineteen Cromwell Churchills in different variants along with one other Cromwell kit. The next day, on 15 August 2006, I received the following response from Gordon:

"Hello Ray, My thanks for your mail and interest in my products. I can supply all the kits you need at a total of £1480.50. Any optional parts I will supply at no extra cost. If you order these kits you will now have placed the largest individual order for Churchills to date, up till now the highest had been 18 kits."

Gordon added further "Please let me know if still wish to place the order and I will pass on my Bank details including Iban account number etc. or you can if you wish pay by CC."

I decided to order the kits. I sent Gordon a note affirming this and informing him that I would pay via bank transfer and that, because of the value of the transaction, I required the kits to be sent to me insured and with delivery confirmation. My payment was sent promptly and I waited for my kits.

Months went by. I sent periodic status requests via e-mail to Gordon. I received no responses. In November of 2006, I received an e-mail note from Gordon informing me that he was having difficulties with some of the molds for the Churchills and that my order would be delayed.

I sent almost monthly status inquiries via e-mail to Gordon and received nothing back in return. Finally, in May 2007 (nine months after the original order) I received a package with four Churchills, plus two other kits I did not order (Gordon offered them in way of apology for the delay in my Churchill order). Note: the package was not insured and did not have delivery confirmation.

In an e-mail note that followed shortly afterward, Gordon informed me that more packages would follow. More months passed.

By July 2007, even Gordon had to admit there was a problem. He told me that he had sent my packages all at the same time and that some must have been "lost in the mail". Gordon told me that he would have to contact Royal Mail to determine the fate of the packages, even though he admitted that the packages had not been sent insured or with delivery confirmation. To this day, I don't know how Gordon was supposed to track packages that had no tracking or insurance information.

This search for the missing packages continued until January 2009. That month Gordon informed me that he would make good on my order, although some of the Cromwell Churchills had since gone out of production and that I would have to choose substitute products (no offer of cash back). I supplied a substitute list of Cromwell products that I wished. Months went by, stretching into years, with no shipments.

Finally, in October 2010, I received another package from Gordon. This time the package was sent with tracking and was insured. But, once again, this shipment did not contain everything promised.

Of the original order's value of £1480.50, I am still due £747.53. All this is based on Gordon's own pricing information. I have not received anything in the way of direct communication from Gordon since December 2010. So, of my original order of nineteen Churchills, I have only received four kits.

Sadly, I have since purchased more Cromwell Churchill kits from EBAY than I ever received from Cromwell Models direct.

Gordon's constant promises of completing my order are in January 2012, unfulfilled. The only way that I can receive a response from Gordon to my inquiries are via postings on this website. Because apparently, he reads this websites content regularly.

So, five years after the original order, in the absence of any direct contact with Gordon, I can only surmise that he does not intend live up to his many promises to complete my order.

So to all readers of this posting, please follow these guidelines:

- Always pay via credit card for your orders. Once you pay in cash, refunds are next to impossible to obtain.

- Follow your credit card policies and file for refunds if your products do not arrive within a reasonable amount of time.

- Never make larger product orders, particularly with vendors that you do not have an existing and longtime business relationship.

- Do research on the people you order from. If I had known beforehand of the level of complaints against Cromwell, I would never made an order with the company.

- Beware of the warning signs of fraud -- claims of lost shipments, vendor illnesses, claims of unreceived e-mails or voicemails.

- Never do business with any vendor that does not maintain a website or has reliable means of contact.

To Gordon, I will not give up on this issue of full compensation for the value of my order. Every time, you make a posting on this website, I will bring up the issue of your business practices as a warning to all.

To the webmasters of this and other modeling websites, please try to police your vendor postings. In view of the level of complaints against Cromwell Models, why do you advertise their products or give them a forum for further sales?

January 24th, 2012, 3:54 pm #5

Hi All,

He will take your money.
He will DEFRAUD you.

So a warning to all.

Sincerly.
Ray Blythe.

Irrespective of the claims of these two people which I most strongly dispute and will continue to dispute for as long as it takes.

I will contact them directly in due course.

January 24th, 2012, 4:05 pm #6

I don't understand why anyone would order anything from Mr Brown when these stories continue to show up and are never resolved. I know Ray Blythe, he is an awesome guy, not a whiner, so his posts are literally warnings to avoid transactions with Mr Brown. I appreciate M-L allowing this post to remain present as a warning to other modellers who are new to the hobby and might consider dealing with Cromwell Models. Buyer VERY beware.

January 24th, 2012, 4:15 pm #7

Hi All,

He will take your money.
He will DEFRAUD you.

So a warning to all.

Sincerly.
Ray Blythe.

Folks,

Why is it you customers of GB/CM always come here to moan & groan? Why aren't your being PROACTIVE in your dealings with GB/CM? WHY aren't you contacting your attorney or the local Attorney General/District Attorney or even the local Constabulary (I luv that word!)?! Posting here on M-L, while it gets his momentary attention and gives you further "promises of fulfilment," only delays what you should really do - have him PROSOCUTED for fraud!

There's an old jewish proverb: "Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me!"

regards,
Greg "B.T.Barnum was right" Harting

January 24th, 2012, 4:53 pm #8

the initial posting seriously before you miss the point (again), Mr. 'H' ...
Ray did not post to "moan" but rather to warn people who weren't yet 'stupid' enough to order from him

January 24th, 2012, 4:57 pm #9

Irrespective of the claims of these two people which I most strongly dispute and will continue to dispute for as long as it takes.

I will contact them directly in due course.
Well well well...
As previously stated. One post on ML and up you bob...
Proof positive that these post's actualy do work..thanks again Moderators.

"Irrespective of the claims of these two people which I most strongly dispute and will continue to dispute for as long as it takes."

Realy Gordon? How could you possibly dispute the fact that I have a receipt..from you...marked PAID?. Or the Elephant in the room..James Blackwell watching you guys take the money,and issue the receipt?.
Or...the irrifutable FACT that you never sent me the 2 kits that I paid for?. Im still waiting Gordon...hence the purpose of emailing you,which you again ignored. When I asked you politely "Are my kits on the way yet?" on the 8/11/11 - you replied with "No, I will let you know when I can fit them in - Gordon" Fit them in?,when exactly was that to be then Gordon?. I would have thought that should have been a priority given the nature of the complaint!.
You chose to ignore the emails after that...

"As long as it takes" - Well Gordon its been two years,and counting.

"I will contact them directly in due course" - You are joking,right?.
You consistently lie and promise to "send them "..."sort " the problem etc...excuses..excuses.

Wake up man. You are deluding yourself if you think this is just going to go away...its not.
Now I wait for you to state publicy,your intentions to either refund me...or honour your promise to send the kits.
Simple as that...time is running out Gordon.

Ray Blythe.

January 24th, 2012, 8:44 pm #10

Hi All,

He will take your money.
He will DEFRAUD you.

So a warning to all.

Sincerly.
Ray Blythe.

Hi gents,

if anyone feels strongly enough to contact the police here in the UK about this, the force and region would be the Strathclyde police.

I too have a tale of an order placed with cromwell models for a figure they had planned to release for the italier RSO - neither the figure was recieved, released or the monies returned and that was waaaaay back in 1997!

Anyone been waiting longer?

Link to Strathclyde police: http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index. ... 4&docID=-1