gmc canvas

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

gmc canvas

July 11th, 2006, 3:55 pm #1

does anybody have tips on how to simulate a realistic canvas cover for trucks such as the gmc 6x6
thankyou
ps in 1/72

July 11th, 2006, 4:03 pm #2

Small scale would be harder due to the thickness of most good materials. I would probably try detailing or texturing the canvas tarps that come in most kits, or making a wire frame and then the canvas part out of rolled thin Milliput putty. I guess you could try the thin, fine grained tissue paper from a shoe box, too. Remember paper shrinks when it is wet.
DAVID NICKELS

July 12th, 2006, 3:16 pm #3

does anybody have tips on how to simulate a realistic canvas cover for trucks such as the gmc 6x6
thankyou
ps in 1/72
Wire-frame, tissue/toilet paper soaked in a mix of water + white glue.
Paint + drybrush creates a nice effect of worn canvas.
Requires some practice.

Good luck.

Chris

July 16th, 2006, 5:45 pm #4

thankyou
ps in 1/72
I use tissue paper. Although canvas does have a texture it is invisible in 1/76. Just use the paper rough side out. Don't fall for the old Airfix aeroplane fault of texturing fabic covered control surfaces because it isn't realistic at all. When fabric surfaces are doped they are as smooth as silk.