German road wheels

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

German road wheels

February 14th, 2012, 7:45 pm #1

I was wondering if the Germans painted the inside of the road wheels that go together such as the panzer III's? I assume everything is primed, but I would almost think they would assemble the 2 wheels together and then apply the dark yellow. I am building a stug III and wanted to know if I should leave the primer, or paint the inside the base coat?
Also I have been using different manufactures and colors for the hull red and I find Floquil's primer red (I think, old bottle and label is unreadable) very nice. Seems to me that Vallejo, and Tamiya's hull red is too dark. Anyone else think this?

February 15th, 2012, 2:33 am #2

Hi, Nathan
It seems like they were painted at least once before the final assembly.
Here are the wheels from Pz III, IV and Stug:

February 15th, 2012, 3:37 am #3

Thanks Alex those are great pictures!

February 15th, 2012, 3:54 pm #4

I was wondering if the Germans painted the inside of the road wheels that go together such as the panzer III's? I assume everything is primed, but I would almost think they would assemble the 2 wheels together and then apply the dark yellow. I am building a stug III and wanted to know if I should leave the primer, or paint the inside the base coat?
Also I have been using different manufactures and colors for the hull red and I find Floquil's primer red (I think, old bottle and label is unreadable) very nice. Seems to me that Vallejo, and Tamiya's hull red is too dark. Anyone else think this?
There is a widely published colour photo of a Tauchpanzer III emerging from a river during Barbarossa (I think it is the River Bug) and the inner parts of the spare wheels are clearly red primer.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

February 15th, 2012, 10:47 pm #5

DAVID NICKELS

February 17th, 2012, 10:11 am #6

Not that photo but quite possibly that vehicle a few seconds later.

Thanks for posting it, David.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps