German Pz.Kpfw 35S739 (f)

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

German Pz.Kpfw 35S739 (f)

February 17th, 2017, 9:11 am #1

hello

I receive the kit : German Pz.Kpfw 35S739 (f) the Somua S 35 beute !

I compare the S Model kit with the HELLER & ALBY kits:

the turret but the turret of S model had a little turret for german S 35 !!

My first impressions :

Turret not good ,the size is incorrect
Tracks it's ok
the gates on motor :Heller is better
The handles of trapdoors badly molded
The supportsof shackles are very badly (molded directly !!)

Mores info and photos :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146510790 ... 975742434/
https://www.facebook.com/philed29/media ... nref=story

Now I finish to build the kit and i compare with the beute S 35 from Saumur Museum .

bye

phil

February 17th, 2017, 2:31 pm #2

All

If Philippe’s concerns about the S-Models turret are confirmed, here is an offer to help – possibly !

I built the Somua S-35 from the Heller kit about 15 years ago. I was dissatisfied with the Heller turret at the time and wanted to do something about it. Graham Tetley of Airedale Castings had just released a highly-regarded 1/35 scale resin kit of the S-35. I bought a copy of the turret casting and did my best to reproduce it in 1/72 scale. Graham then cast copies, for me and for sale – I don’t know how many he sold.

I still have the master and I’d be happy to make it available to a cottage industry supplier, if there was sufficient demand to put it into limited production. I wouldn’t want any financial reward myself, but I guess that he would at least want to cover his costs. However, the idea will only fly if people think that the replacement turret is any good. I was satisfied with the turret 15 years ago, but times & expectations have changed. Please feel free to be honest about the idea and/or the shortcomings of my master.

Some pictures of the resin casting and the finished article appear below. The Somua depicts a tank of 29th Dragoons, part of 2eme DLM in 1940. If people think that there is mileage in the idea, then I could speak to some of the cottage industry suppliers at ‘On Track’ next weekend.

Andy Lang

<a rel="nofollow">

</a>
uploading images

photo host

Last edited by Andy Lang on February 17th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

February 17th, 2017, 4:04 pm #3

hello

My first impressions :

Tracks it's ok

Mores info and photos :

Now I finish to build the kit and i compare with the beute S 35 from Saumur Museum .

bye

phil
Hey Phil, great comparison! Thanks...
Regards,
Peter van Kempen.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.

February 17th, 2017, 4:06 pm #4

All

If Philippe’s concerns about the S-Models turret are confirmed, here is an offer to help – possibly !

I built the Somua S-35 from the Heller kit about 15 years ago. I was dissatisfied with the Heller turret at the time and wanted to do something about it. Graham Tetley of Airedale Castings had just released a highly-regarded 1/35 scale resin kit of the S-35. I bought a copy of the turret casting and did my best to reproduce it in 1/72 scale. Graham then cast copies, for me and for sale – I don’t know how many he sold.

I still have the master and I’d be happy to make it available to a cottage industry supplier, if there was sufficient demand to put it into limited production. I wouldn’t want any financial reward myself, but I guess that he would at least want to cover his costs. However, the idea will only fly if people think that the replacement turret is any good. I was satisfied with the turret 15 years ago, but times & expectations have changed. Please feel free to be honest about the idea and/or the shortcomings of my master.

Some pictures of the resin casting and the finished article appear below. The Somua depicts a tank of 29th Dragoons, part of 2eme DLM in 1940. If people think that there is mileage in the idea, then I could speak to some of the cottage industry suppliers at ‘On Track’ next weekend.

Andy Lang

<a rel="nofollow">

</a>
uploading images

photo host

They have a nice resin turret

http://www.minitracks.fr/kit_autres.htmj

February 17th, 2017, 4:24 pm #5

hello

My first impressions :

Tracks it's ok

Mores info and photos :

bye

phil
Thanks for the review Philippe!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like S-Models isn't doing the due diligence on research as it should.

February 17th, 2017, 7:04 pm #6

They have a nice resin turret

http://www.minitracks.fr/kit_autres.htmj
Hi Augusto,

Thanks for pointing this out, I had forgot about their nice add ons for the Somua. Unfortunately the website says that it is out of stock at the moment, if anyone has any influence over their operation perhaps they could give them a nudge . When it is in stock I will order the turret and barrel for sure.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

February 17th, 2017, 11:19 pm #7

All

Andy Lang

<a rel="nofollow">

</a>
uploading images

photo host

hello Andrew

a very good master of turret !!

I had very interested by your turret .

I saw the turret of D2 tank from Modelltrans for moulded .

bye

phil
Last edited by EDERN Philippe on February 17th, 2017, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 18th, 2017, 12:05 am #8

Hi Augusto,

Thanks for pointing this out, I had forgot about their nice add ons for the Somua. Unfortunately the website says that it is out of stock at the moment, if anyone has any influence over their operation perhaps they could give them a nudge . When it is in stock I will order the turret and barrel for sure.

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Their website says available early July
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Stefan
Stefan Zadziuk
IPMS 72
MAFVA 386

February 18th, 2017, 12:53 am #9

Hi Stefan,

I think that I can wait until then, I have a lot of stuff on the go and the Somua is something I want to build (I have all the other aftermarket stuff already), but not just yet .

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

February 18th, 2017, 8:47 am #10

hello

My first impressions :

Tracks it's ok

Mores info and photos :

bye

phil
Thanks for the review Philippe,
is this the one we spoke about that could be used for OTW ?
Cheers
R