German Propaganda film makers,question

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

German Propaganda film makers,question

jamie sumner
jamie sumner

August 27th, 2002, 12:46 pm #1

Sorry for all the questions to-nite,,well saw this picture of a german cameraman up atop a civillian vehicle with film camera, tripod etc my question is,on say allied vehicles they had signs like PHOTOGRAPHER etc,what would the germans have had for filmcrews ??? please any suggestions ,, TIA JAMIE

Ian Stapley
Ian Stapley

August 27th, 2002, 4:27 pm #2

worn on the right sleeve (same as e g Grossdeutschland or Afrikakorps). The vehicles probably were only marked with a tactical symbol on front and rear.

Esko Koskinen
Esko Koskinen

August 27th, 2002, 8:02 pm #3

Sorry for all the questions to-nite,,well saw this picture of a german cameraman up atop a civillian vehicle with film camera, tripod etc my question is,on say allied vehicles they had signs like PHOTOGRAPHER etc,what would the germans have had for filmcrews ??? please any suggestions ,, TIA JAMIE
Hi!

Waffen SS war correspondents Or Kriegsberichters had cuff titles like these:

Worn on left sleeve, either with or without divisional cuff title. Waffenfarbe of Waffen SS war correspondents was lemon yellow.

Luftwaffe and Whrmacht had their own KB Abteilungs, but I guess the cuff title was worn in right sleeve?

Pictures (C) SOLDAT FHQ http://www.soldat.com

HTH,

Esko

Brad Cocks
Brad Cocks

August 28th, 2002, 11:47 am #4

Hey Jamie I seem to recall reading that it was common for both still photographers and motion picture cameramen in the PK to work close together often shooting the same scenes.Ive got a doco I taped off tv a while back called "The camera in the scouts car". It shows a young german bloke who was into film making, shooting the daily life of his mates ect.Well the PK saw some of his film and he was transfered to an Army film unit.I didnt notice any cuff title for army or special Vechicle markings.Ive seen one pic of an ss film maker with "Kurt Eggers" cuff title.

Paul Hanson
Paul Hanson

August 28th, 2002, 4:09 pm #5

Hi!

Waffen SS war correspondents Or Kriegsberichters had cuff titles like these:

Worn on left sleeve, either with or without divisional cuff title. Waffenfarbe of Waffen SS war correspondents was lemon yellow.

Luftwaffe and Whrmacht had their own KB Abteilungs, but I guess the cuff title was worn in right sleeve?

Pictures (C) SOLDAT FHQ http://www.soldat.com

HTH,

Esko
Esko is correct - the LW and Heer units wore their cufftitles on the right sleeve.

I have not found a specific listing for Waffenfarbe of Heer KB, so for now I am assuming they wore the light gray Waffenfarbe of the Propaganda troops.

None of my Luftwaffe refs give any listing for either KB or Propaganda troops. I would assume they wore the golden brown of Signals. Possibly they wore the golden yellow of the Film Services of the RLM; but I would lean to the golden brown Waffenfarbe of signals.

PH

Esko Koskinen
Esko Koskinen

August 28th, 2002, 8:04 pm #6

Hi!

I'll check the Luftwaffe Kriegsberichter thing tomorrow, if I remember correctly our local library has a book with colour pictures from WW2 Finland, and in one picture a Luftwaffe Kriegsberichter is filming Finnish troops. I can scan the picture for you if you want?

With best wishes,

Esko

Esko Koskinen
Esko Koskinen

August 28th, 2002, 8:12 pm #7

Esko is correct - the LW and Heer units wore their cufftitles on the right sleeve.

I have not found a specific listing for Waffenfarbe of Heer KB, so for now I am assuming they wore the light gray Waffenfarbe of the Propaganda troops.

None of my Luftwaffe refs give any listing for either KB or Propaganda troops. I would assume they wore the golden brown of Signals. Possibly they wore the golden yellow of the Film Services of the RLM; but I would lean to the golden brown Waffenfarbe of signals.

PH
I just remembered that I had this great picture of Finnish SS Kriegsberichter re-enactor. He may have a SS-KB cuff title under his winter anorak..

HTH,

Esko

Paul Hanson
Paul Hanson

August 29th, 2002, 12:18 pm #8

Hi!

I'll check the Luftwaffe Kriegsberichter thing tomorrow, if I remember correctly our local library has a book with colour pictures from WW2 Finland, and in one picture a Luftwaffe Kriegsberichter is filming Finnish troops. I can scan the picture for you if you want?

With best wishes,

Esko
Esko;

If the photo shows his collar patches in color by all means please do.

PH