German Primer

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

German Primer

September 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm #1

OK, Adam Wilder's primer is a very red colour, quite vivid. Other primers I've seen including many painting sets are a much browner shade, similar to red brown.

What is correct? I've just got a Dragon Panther F smart kit (for 17 quid by the way; bargain or what!) and I fancy doing some weathered steel and primer.

Edited for appalling spelling!
Last edited by FlyingHaggis on September 15th, 2012, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2012, 12:02 am #2

I prefer pollyscale zinc primer from railroad collection. It's real up to you Every coat of primer doesnt have to be the same.Nor is one god of the paints

Also for a panther maybe try a Light blueish grey primer color. IT a big different and kinda unique to panthers

September 15th, 2012, 7:17 am #3

It seems that the "red-brown" primer colour tone ot the german industrial primer has not changed significantly in the last 60 years.
Vallejo model colours 2x818 + 1x843 gives exact this red-brown tone, which have (and have had) this industrial pimers.
Try it.

September 15th, 2012, 9:56 am #4

I prefer pollyscale zinc primer from railroad collection. It's real up to you Every coat of primer doesnt have to be the same.Nor is one god of the paints

Also for a panther maybe try a Light blueish grey primer color. IT a big different and kinda unique to panthers
Panthers with bluish primer?

David

September 15th, 2012, 2:24 pm #5

Dan

I think you're confusing 'primer' with the mid- or light-blue-grey (more properly a 'cold grey' if one refers to the Pantone colour chart) parkerisation process that Panther turrets and hulls (and Jagdpanther hulls) were subject to, which was basically an oxide-redardant rather than a primer. This was usually covered in overall rotprimer prior to painting, but in 1945 there is some evidence from the colour photos taken at the Daimler-Benz and MNH plants to suggest that this was not always the case. Let's not forget that many components had their own suppliers who often primered in other colours than red (e.g black-primered Panther/Jagdpanther gepakkästen and mudguards) so one overall primer-colour (whatever that may be) was not universal by any means.

I would also invite comments from Tiger-II-lovers as to whether parkerisation was also employed by Henschel. Do we have any colour evidence from that plant?

Ron

September 15th, 2012, 2:46 pm #6

But it does look cooler then all the red we see and lets you still use red primer as a accent color or vice verser

September 15th, 2012, 3:35 pm #7

OK, Adam Wilder's primer is a very red colour, quite vivid. Other primers I've seen including many painting sets are a much browner shade, similar to red brown.

What is correct? I've just got a Dragon Panther F smart kit (for 17 quid by the way; bargain or what!) and I fancy doing some weathered steel and primer.

Edited for appalling spelling!
Jamie
You know how to open a can of worms

in Wehrmacht Herr Camouflage Colours 1939-1945 by Tomas Chory the Primer colour is stated as RAL 8012 which to my eye is a reddish brown and one of the suggested mixes is Humbrol 1 part 107 plus 1 part 133 (Pls note no acrylic)

Further to this the hue was changed sometime between spring 42 to spring 43 to RAL8013

Also a late war colour which would be more appropriate is the hue RAL8017 which vehicles left the factory in the primer which acted as the base colour with a suggestion of Humbrol 177

This is from the book and as you will be weathering the vehicle in your inimitable style by the time the various layers are on it a close-ish colour match should suffice?

I can hear the howls of protest now.

For AV try 982

Regards
BC (cant wait to see this one in the flesh/steel)

September 15th, 2012, 4:07 pm #8

I'm in this camp myself, brother. Been down that road many times and argued the point here until my keyboard exploded. You won't convince anyone who already believes what he wants to believe.

September 15th, 2012, 4:33 pm #9

Like weathering bombs on aircraft!!!!!! ;-)

September 15th, 2012, 4:46 pm #10