Gama Goat with engine bay - Part 2

May 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm #1

The build continues...

I realized at an early stage that if I was going to expose the engine compartment, I would not be able to use the Tamiya engine compartment hatch, since it has no details inside and the louvers are only moulded onto the outside surface. This cannot really be considered a short cut on Tamiya's part, they did not intend the hatch to be shown open.

The only choice was to scratchbuild it.

I have been putting this one off for a while, I anticipated a real nightmare with all those louvers, but as it turns out once the work started it was fairly straightforward, even though it took some effort to ensure the straightness of the louvers.

I had my trusty Chopper to help, which was a God-send considering the quantity of equal length pieces I needed (over 100 of them).

Anyway, I am now calling the engine hatch pretty much done, just a couple of handles and the hinges to add on the outside.

Thanks for looking!

//Sven

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

That is one incredibly high standard you are setting.

May 21st, 2017, 12:58 pm #2

You have almost outdone the engine with that hatch in my mind. That is also one very nice looking chopper which makes mine look distinctly primitive.

Regards
Ian

You,Sir,are a steely eyed modeling man! Your last post

May 21st, 2017, 1:37 pm #3

The build continues...

I realized at an early stage that if I was going to expose the engine compartment, I would not be able to use the Tamiya engine compartment hatch, since it has no details inside and the louvers are only moulded onto the outside surface. This cannot really be considered a short cut on Tamiya's part, they did not intend the hatch to be shown open.

I have been putting this one off for a while, I anticipated a real nightmare with all those louvers, but as it turns out once the work started it was fairly straightforward, even though it took some effort to ensure the straightness of the louvers.

I had my trusty Chopper to help, which was a God-send considering the quantity of equal length pieces I needed (over 100 of them).

Anyway, I am now calling the engine hatch pretty much done, just a couple of handles and the hinges to add on the outside.

Thanks for looking!

//Sven

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]
proved it and this post confirms it. Plus,one day,when I grow up,I want to own one of those chopping sets !
That hatch is worthy of that engine!
J

Many thanks again, Ian..

May 21st, 2017, 3:26 pm #4

You have almost outdone the engine with that hatch in my mind. That is also one very nice looking chopper which makes mine look distinctly primitive.

Regards
Ian
You are most kind, and I am very grateful for your continued support.

If I was to compare the engine build to the work on the engine hatch, I could safely say that I enjoyed the engine much more The hatch (at least the louvers) was more of a forced necessity in comparison, but at the end of the day its worth making the extra effort

Edit: forgot to mention the chopper. Definitely a great tool.
Last edited by young_sven on May 22nd, 2017, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry..

May 21st, 2017, 3:28 pm #5

proved it and this post confirms it. Plus,one day,when I grow up,I want to own one of those chopping sets !
That hatch is worthy of that engine!
J
You are as always most generous with your feedback, and it is very much appreciated believe me.

Regarding the Chopper, its definitely a nice and handy tool to have, not sure how I managed before I bought it about 3-4 years ago.

Without the chopper and my punch-and-dies, I would be truly lost.

simply stunning

May 21st, 2017, 5:21 pm #6

The build continues...

Thanks for looking!

//Sven

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]
congrats on a superb bit of scratch building the engine looks amazing
www.petesmodelworld.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers Pete!

May 21st, 2017, 7:20 pm #7

Thanks for your very kind feedback!

Now if I can get my MERDC to look as great as your Goat, I will be very happy!

You cannot be serious ???

May 21st, 2017, 10:29 pm #8

The build continues...

Thanks for looking!

//Sven

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]
Hi Sven, jaw-droppingly good. Your attention to detail is commendable.

Thank you Steve..

May 22nd, 2017, 6:11 am #9

.. for the very kind compliments. It's a relief to have the engine cover out of the way, I was worried it would become a showstopper for the entire build.

Exqisite!

May 23rd, 2017, 4:34 pm #10

The build continues...

Thanks for looking!

//Sven

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]

[/IMG][/URL]
Stunning work Sven, just stunning!

regards David