Full model paint strip

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Full model paint strip

November 15th, 2010, 4:39 am #1

Well, after basically stuffing up a paintjob, I now want to fully strip a model to redo it. I did finish painting the kit, tried to see if I could fix/camouflage it, but still unhappy with it.
Thread here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/m ... Weary+FAMO

So now to strip... I have used windex before happily, but this kit has loads of photo etch on it, plus oils, pigments, acrylics, dullcote etc over it. Hopefully Windex will do the job, but if not, what else can i use?

Obviously something that wont damage the plastic, but also something that wont affect the glue for the etch parts. Also something that i can preferably just "wash" off, instead of scrubbing with a brush so I dont shear off any of the tiny aber PE parts!

Suggestions?

November 15th, 2010, 9:17 pm #2

Use tire/whitewall cleaner, like

November 17th, 2010, 10:00 am #3

Hi Rob,

Been there a few times myself. Use Mr Muscle non toxic overn cleaner.coat the entire model, place it in a plastic bag and seal it, come back the next day and wash off. Sometimes you may need to do this several imes, depending on type of paint and how heavy etc.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

December 18th, 2010, 3:54 pm #4

I have tried the latest issue of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner on old enamel paint and it no longer works as it used to. It just softened a small number of areas which I cleaned off and then applied more with similar results. after four trys I gave up. All the guts has been removed from it. No doubt due to the Health & Safety police saying that if you used it on an oven it might remove the accumilated grime and poison you if you just happened to drink it.