French WWI Vehicle Colors

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

French WWI Vehicle Colors

January 26th, 2005, 2:23 pm #1

Of course I know of the multi-colored schemes seen on FT-17's, etc., but the WWI color shots made available today on the Hyper Scaler Website jogged my memmory banks about questions I had regarding the medium blue or blue-gray used on some French vehicles, especially soft-skins.

Anybody have any comments on the colors, medium blue or otherwise, and a good match for the blue, if valid, in available hobby paint ranges ?

Also, anybody have any leads, photos, etc., on automobiles impressed into service with the French Army during WWI, other than the famous taxis, and whether they were repainted ?

Mike Dobrzelecki

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

January 26th, 2005, 4:16 pm #2

Hiya

Can't say anything about the Taxis, but other vehicles were mostly a light grey with a blue-ish aspect. Recently published colour photos suggest this might have been a little darker than we'd assumed, but still a light Grey. The WW2 RAF Sea Grey Medium feels close.

If you can get a look at a copy of Les Camions De La Victoire - Barbarossa Books had copies - its very good generally on french softskins, and has a good note on colours. Gun tractors went into a three-four tone disruptive

Hope this helps

Mike Cooper

January 30th, 2005, 5:13 am #3

Of course I know of the multi-colored schemes seen on FT-17's, etc., but the WWI color shots made available today on the Hyper Scaler Website jogged my memmory banks about questions I had regarding the medium blue or blue-gray used on some French vehicles, especially soft-skins.

Anybody have any comments on the colors, medium blue or otherwise, and a good match for the blue, if valid, in available hobby paint ranges ?

Also, anybody have any leads, photos, etc., on automobiles impressed into service with the French Army during WWI, other than the famous taxis, and whether they were repainted ?

Mike Dobrzelecki
Hey Mike

Didn't know you hung out here

The book mentioned by Mike Cooper, 'Les Camions de la Victoire, 1914-1918', is a treasure trove of French softskins but with all text in French. I picked up a copy last November at the UK Nats in Telford. Let me know when we'll cross paths and I'll bring it along--AMPS in April maybe?

IMHO, if the color on the French 75mm and caisson in the Imperial War Museum is accurate, it definitely leans towards the blue side of blue-grey. I could send you a couple of photos if you like... If I knew how to attach JPEGs to this message, I'd do that for everyone's benefit.

Karen