for Jens - Hardedge Camouflage Tiger II - Overview

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

for Jens - Hardedge Camouflage Tiger II - Overview

August 14th, 2012, 12:10 pm #1

Hi Jens, as promised I send you schemes which I used to make the upper hull/turret camouflage of my KT.

Step 1.

Taking as reference the 2 unique pics of the upper turret, I reported the only color that I can see is brown, I think green it's too weak to stand out, at least on horizontal surfaces under sunlight.

Here's how I understand it.

Step 2.

I joined brown and added green.

Step 3.

I added brown and green on forward part of upper hull, starting from the areas of the same color on the hull sides and joining with areas of the same color on turret sides.

Step 4.

Same procedure for the rear upper hull.

We always remember that painting wasn't made with stencils but with "predefinite layout", therefore evident differences may be between a production lot and another.

I would like to know your opinion, and that of others who are interested in this topic, if this is a plausible reconstruction.

Emanuele
Last edited by espi57 on August 25th, 2012, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2012, 8:57 pm #2

Hi Emanuele,

here is the camo pattern of Kingtiger 008:

and the dot pattern:

Klaus

August 15th, 2012, 3:36 pm #3

Are masks available?

August 15th, 2012, 7:16 pm #4

Hi Jens, as promised I send you schemes which I used to make the upper hull/turret camouflage of my KT.

Step 1.

Taking as reference the 2 unique pics of the upper turret, I reported the only color that I can see is brown, I think green it's too weak to stand out, at least on horizontal surfaces under sunlight.

Step 2.

Step 3.

I added brown and green on forward part of upper hull, starting from the areas of the same color on the hull sides and joining with areas of the same color on turret sides.

Step 4.

We always remember that painting wasn't made with stencils but with "predefinite layout", therefore evident differences may be between a production lot and another.

I would like to know your opinion, and that of others who are interested in this topic, if this is a plausible reconstruction.

Emanuele
Emanuele hello!
Your drawing should be refined. In the rear of the roof turret arrangement of spots (brown and green) is not quite correct.
Photo shows that the brown spots less than a large green spot near the middle of the back of the the turret roof

August 16th, 2012, 7:45 am #5

Hi Emanuele,

here is the camo pattern of Kingtiger 008:

and the dot pattern:

Klaus
Hi Klaus, very well done and accurate job.
The camouflage has been interpreted in a little different way from mine, but in very effective manner.
It's an excellent and very plausible alternative.

Emanuele

August 16th, 2012, 7:49 am #6

Emanuele hello!
Your drawing should be refined. In the rear of the roof turret arrangement of spots (brown and green) is not quite correct.
Photo shows that the brown spots less than a large green spot near the middle of the back of the the turret roof
Hi Viktor, if I understand you feel that the part highlighted in pic below is green?

Emanuele
Last edited by espi57 on August 16th, 2012, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2012, 10:03 am #7

Probably its more close

August 16th, 2012, 2:24 pm #8

Emanuele hello!
Hi

This is a interesting topic for discussion and there is a lot of speculation what the pattern looked on the upper hull and turret.

I saw a few pics on the net years ago on "204" (when it had broken down and lay in the ditch)from the ardennes, the pics where taken from above from the right side with some GI's where you saw the turret roof at least, I think I saved the pics but I have lost them unfortunately.

I couple of years ago in Hungary I took a couple of pics of a original Tiger II cupola hatch that was supposed to be in original color and it was all green, the strange thing was that the colour was a more greenish-turquise color, I have also seen a pic where the dark brown and green pattern meet on the front of the cupola.

Just a little input from me..

Cheers Gunnar

August 16th, 2012, 5:42 pm #9

Step 1.

Step 2.

Step 3.

Step 4.

Emanuele
Hi guys, why don't you use the existing thread because i intended to avoid a fragmented thread? Thanks anyway for the answers!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... Invitation

As you can see on my pics about turret top, i also see there a green part back of the cupola. Very interesting way, emanuele, how you achieved your camouflage-scheme.

I also added the front in old thread...

@Gunnar

I know what position you mean with "204". Can you remember the colour positions, maybe the light dunkelgelb? I think it is one of those unsharp pics listed in my thread:

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... 28&start=0

Greetings
Jens

kingtiger332"at"gmx.de
Kind regards!

Jens M ü h l i g
Historycolors

www.historycolors.de
https://www.facebook.com/www.historycolors.de/

August 16th, 2012, 7:46 pm #10

Hi Jens

Sorry I can't remember whre the colours where, and it was not one of the pics in the thread, there was two other pics and I rememebr it showed the turret roof on one of them, maybe from the same lot as a couple of pics in the thread I don't know.

Regards Gunnar