Foamboard Cutters

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Foamboard Cutters

February 20th, 2010, 5:38 am #1

Not sure how many modellers use these but I have to ask. I make my own 1/35 buildings. I use foamboard/foamcore (same thing more or less just named differently in different countries)as a building shell which then supports the detail that I then add. However, when cutting the board to size it's impossible to get an EXACT straight edge by freehand with an xacto and a straight edge ruler but I have seen several foamboard/core cutters out there in the market which promise to do just that. So I am wondering if anybody has experience with any of them and how they have found them? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Regards
Sven.
Here's a few options on the market today that I am curious about:

February 21st, 2010, 4:55 am #2

Hey Sven,

What you are trying to cut i beleive is called here (australia) depron. I normall use an exacto and a rule and dont have any problems. ut, I have also double sided some medium grit sand paper onto the back of the rule, which keeps it in place, and stops from slipping and moving.

For bigger cuts, I use my metre rule, with double sided tape direct on the rule and foam.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

February 22nd, 2010, 7:40 am #3

Hey Glen,
I'm in OZ too, and have only ever used foam board/core from my local art supply shop. I have never even heard of Depron until you just mentioned it and have now come back from frantically Googling it, and I must say it looks very interesting indeed. I am going to place a small order and see what it's like. I like your idea about the sandpaper too, going to try that one also. You have been a great help. Thank you so much:-)
Regards
Sven.

February 22nd, 2010, 7:52 am #4

Hi Sven,

No probs at all. When you say foam board, is that the foam that is sandwiched between cardboard? If so, I think you will be better of just using Depron, as that is what is basically inside.

Go to a discount shop, and get yourself a cheap glue gun, they work great for dioramas and also depron.

Have a look at our site for diorama buildings and accessories as well.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

February 22nd, 2010, 10:57 pm #5

Not sure how many modellers use these but I have to ask. I make my own 1/35 buildings. I use foamboard/foamcore (same thing more or less just named differently in different countries)as a building shell which then supports the detail that I then add. However, when cutting the board to size it's impossible to get an EXACT straight edge by freehand with an xacto and a straight edge ruler but I have seen several foamboard/core cutters out there in the market which promise to do just that. So I am wondering if anybody has experience with any of them and how they have found them? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Regards
Sven.
Here's a few options on the market today that I am curious about:

Never crossed my mind to double-side-tape sandpaper to a rule to prevent slippage. For all the years I cussed as my rule wobbled, me and my fat fingers. If y'all were in arm's reach, I'd buy you a Tooey's. (I don't think I spelled that right. I would have offered a Fosters, but got told by an Ozian that Fosters was what they gave to the tourists).

Bob

February 23rd, 2010, 6:03 am #6

Bob
I'm with you, it's a great idea and I too have suffered from the slip sliding ruler problem (or 'straight edge' as you Americans like to call it) for years. Your also reliably informed about Fosters as well, it's a crap beer and strangly enough is sold on tap everywhere in the UK thanks to great marketing of a lousy product....of course you can sadly get it in a lot of places here too although who actually drinks it is still a complete mystry?
Regards
Sven