Flying Elephant. Any pictures anywhere?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Flying Elephant. Any pictures anywhere?

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

September 5th, 2004, 2:32 pm #1

does anyone have any plans or pics or details on this British Super-heavy.

i know it was around 100 tons with 3 or 4 inch armour and two sets of tracks in case it sunk in soft ground.

by all accounts it was almost completed before the idea was scrapped along with the tank! surely some pics must be around?!

Phil

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

September 5th, 2004, 9:32 pm #2

I'm not sure if I have seen any photos, but drawings - or at lesat sketches appear in a caouple of sources, and I think the Tank Museum library has such.

Mike Cooper

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

September 6th, 2004, 5:36 pm #3

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

September 9th, 2004, 9:57 am #4

Great stuff - this is all I've ever seen too! Interestingly she never featured in the series of WW1 oddities in Tankette.

Mike

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

September 9th, 2004, 6:26 pm #5

these views are ok but, i'm no draughtsman, they dont appear to match up. unless i'm looking at it wrong. maybe the front is bow shaped like the bow of a ship? i dunno. it doesn't look right. and apparantly it would not have been much bigger than a Mk1 so it wouldnt make such a great model. hmmm

September 15th, 2004, 9:18 pm #6

is this tank also known as the German K Tank or K type?
If so I have 2 photos from an amour book from 1933. If so I can email photo's. It is similar to the drawing above not exact. The photo's are better than nothing but not much, poor printing of an already dark image
Let me know BobC

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

September 17th, 2004, 9:41 am #7

No, its a piece of home grown British lunacy!

Mike

Ian Stapley
Ian Stapley

September 20th, 2004, 5:09 pm #8

does anyone have any plans or pics or details on this British Super-heavy.

i know it was around 100 tons with 3 or 4 inch armour and two sets of tracks in case it sunk in soft ground.

by all accounts it was almost completed before the idea was scrapped along with the tank! surely some pics must be around?!

Phil
The Tank Museum at Bovington used to have a scratch built model of this machine but it may be in storage. Other models included the Killen-Strait tricycle and a wheel from the Tsar three wheeled tank.

I think the exhibits have been reorganised to accommodate the Great War setpieces and are no longer on display but the curators may be able to help.

October 28th, 2005, 2:15 pm #9

Only a year late(!) but look at the Wikipedia entry for the Flying Elephant. I updated it a few weeks ago and added photos of the Bovington model (I took them over ten years ago on a visit).