Floquil railroad colors

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Floquil railroad colors

June 20th, 2012, 2:49 am #1

I know using them will kill you in 3 days, but can I use lacquer thinner to thin them?
Mineral spirits?
These are the really old colors, they may have revised them since I purchased them in the olden days.
Are they enamel or lacquer paints?
Doesn't say on the label.

Owen
Last edited by mailman7777777 on June 20th, 2012, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 3:45 am #2

Last edited by Michael Mummey on June 20th, 2012, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 7:28 am #3

I know using them will kill you in 3 days, but can I use lacquer thinner to thin them?
Mineral spirits?
These are the really old colors, they may have revised them since I purchased them in the olden days.

Owen
Floquil calls them "Solvent paints" --
they're enamels--
-totally mixable with the old Testor's enamels,ect.-
--use white spirits ,ect.. "Paint Thinner" from Walmart works great for them and is almost free its so cheap

AK

June 20th, 2012, 4:31 pm #4

Mineral spirits?

Owen
... except Floquils' old Dio-Sol thinner, or lacquer thinner. Mineral Spirits/enamel thinner will make them a mess indeed.

Nothing else is "hot" enough. And yes, if you use them, spray them with a ventilator mask and plenty of circulating fresh air. I remember getting quite the buzz/headache when spraying old Floquil military colors, but man were they gorgeous...

Scott Gentry

June 20th, 2012, 5:09 pm #5

Yes they are the old paints. I think I'd be better off just using Tamiya and Model Air.
Relegate the Floquil to my Paint hall of Fame.

Thanks again,
Owen

June 21st, 2012, 1:14 am #6

Mineral spirits?

Owen
I have bottles that are over 25 years old and the paiont is still good.
In addition to the other advice, you may ewant to use a barrier. The old Floquil will craze plastic if you don't.

June 21st, 2012, 1:25 am #7

Mineral spirits?

Owen
Sqaure bottles are old formula and need a Xylol/Toluol based thinners - you can buy Xylol at some hardware stores.

Round bottle paint is a newer formula and is a  conventional enamel, so use whatever you usually use for enamels

Aidrian

June 21st, 2012, 6:33 am #8

I have some old formula in round bottles.

Floquil was the best paint ever. I'm still suffering withdrawls.

Paul

June 21st, 2012, 1:01 pm #9

Floquil calls them "Solvent paints" --
they're enamels--
-totally mixable with the old Testor's enamels,ect.-
--use white spirits ,ect.. "Paint Thinner" from Walmart works great for them and is almost free its so cheap

AK
and any purchased in the last say, 5 years
Any info about differences with Old formula would have to be deferred to Old Hands doing Old School work with
their Old selves 8-)

AK

June 21st, 2012, 2:44 pm #10

I have some old formula in round bottles.

Floquil was the best paint ever. I'm still suffering withdrawls.

Paul
I have a bottle of Diesel Purple (square bottle) I purchased in 1963, I've used it numerous times and it is still good.

I think the square/Round bottle was simply an ease of manufacture/cost reduction.

I use Xylene to thin all of my petroleum based paints and have for years.

Humbrol, Testors, Pactra, Xtra colour and Floquil.

It smoothes out the flow and allows the paint to settle down into all of the nooks and crannies.

I use lacquer to clean my airbrush.

I've never used any type of barrier, and I admit that I did have one time where the paint attacked the plastic, that was my fault for spraying on way too much paint.

I'll stay with petroleum based paints.

Dna sey I esu a rotarepser! It has no effect on me!!!!