Flammenwerfer operator...special clothing?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Flammenwerfer operator...special clothing?

Doug Jacobs
Doug Jacobs

September 10th, 2004, 11:10 pm #1

Hi. It's me again with another flammenwerfer question. Did the man who operated the flame projector wear any special clothing? I remember in the movie 'Lost Battalion' the flamethrower operators had special pants and coats on that were, I assume, flame retardant. Also, I know during the early part of WW2 German flammenwerfer operators wore special pants and coats over their uniforms to offer some protection from the heat.

So I was wondering if this was done in WW1? Besides any special clothing was there any special gear worn such as gloves, face shield etc? Did the man carrying the actual flammenwerfer tank (be it drum shaped or donut shaped) wear any special clothing/gear or just his standard uniform?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

September 11th, 2004, 9:05 am #2

The only photographs I can remember of German flamethrower crews showed, IIRC, standard uniforms. However, if you simply want a flamethrower crew wearing an unusual uniform and don't care which nation they are from, you could go for French soldiers: on display in the Army Museum in Brussels is a French full-body suit for flamethrower operators, made from 100% asbestos