FineMolds Type 89 second gun shield/turret front

Hosted by Yasu Mori, the Japanese Modelling discussion group covers questions to Japanese modellers, discussion of Japanese-themed modelling and the opportunity for Japanese modellers to discuss any aspects of AFV modelling in Japanese.

FineMolds Type 89 second gun shield/turret front

January 10th, 2011, 9:01 am #1

Dear Gentlemen,
does anybody has information about the second turret front with the additional armor cover for the gun shield ??
I mean the turret front part provided in the kit but not mentioned in the description as an option ?
There are pictures of a late model 89 having this turret modification, to me it seems logical that it was used on the last model also ?!

And secondly : FineMolds providing the "last" model of the Type 89:
- production starting when ?
- where was it used ?

Best Regards, Franz

January 10th, 2011, 12:14 pm #2

> does anybody has information about the second turret front with the additional armor cover for the gun shield ??

It would be a part for the model in the future.

> There are pictures of a late model 89 having this turret modification, to me it seems logical that it was used on the last model also ?!

No. The last model with this modification is not found.

And secondly : FineMolds providing the "last" model of the Type 89:
- production starting when ?
Probably 1938

- where was it used ?
Manchuria and Japan homeland

Taki

January 10th, 2011, 12:39 pm #3

Taki:
Sorry to barge in on this discussion.

Is it possible to mark the Fine Molds kit as a tank of the 7th Tank Regiment in the Philippines 1941-42?

January 10th, 2011, 1:04 pm #4

Steve,

It is not good. 7th Tank Regiment did not have the last version Type 89.

The last version 89 is identified only in 3rd Tank Regiment in Manchuria and unknown unit in Japan homeland. It is not found in other units.

Taki

January 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm #5

Taki:
Many thanks for the info! I guess it will be conversion time after all!

Thanks also for the recommendation a few posts down about the new book "Imperial Japanese Army Tanks". I got in my copy from Hobby Link Japan this weekend, and I found it to be a very good book with lots of interesting new stuff. I had a lot of the Type 89 drawings from old issues of Tank magazine, but I really liked the interior drawings of the Type 95.

January 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm #6

Steve,

It is not good. 7th Tank Regiment did not have the last version Type 89.

The last version 89 is identified only in 3rd Tank Regiment in Manchuria and unknown unit in Japan homeland. It is not found in other units.

Taki
Many thanks for the fast answer.
Seems that FineMolds did their home work.

Hi Steve, can't wait to see your build soon