Filters with Vallejo...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Filters with Vallejo...

July 23rd, 2006, 4:23 pm #1

I'm trying to apply filters in Vallejo but a problem came up. I'm thinning the filter mix with Tuperntine. The Vallejo surface bubbled up and i almost lost all paint job.
Shall i apply a lacquer to protect the paint before i apply the filter?

Best regards
CADU SOUZA
Last edited by Caduman on July 23rd, 2006, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2006, 11:43 am #2

I also had a problem with turpentine eating through paint and plastic. There seems to be a lot of uses of the word "turpentine". I used a refined turpentine specifically for oil painting. I think this is a very "hot" or reactive type of solvent. White or Mineral Spirits are often called turpentine and are less reactive and these are probably better to use. I now always coat with some kind of varnish. before using a wash, and use white spirit. I have yet to see a good definition of paint solvents which is internationally recognisable. I think Mig Jimenez recommends "Turpentine" for washes but am not sure what he means by this as there may be different strengths of "Turpentine" which is a specific type of solvent made from pine-tree extract and not just white spirit.

July 24th, 2006, 1:28 pm #3

hi,

l don't know how to thin vallejo for using it as a filter since l use humbrol enamels for my filters, but white spirit (that's the european name, in england and the US it's called mineral spirits) is a perfect solvent!

white spirit is an odourless turpentine, and it's less "greasy" than normal turpentine. it will not damage your plastic, and you even don't have to varnish your model because it's very "friendly" for acrylics, and l think it will react great on an enamel base too.....

hth.

regards,
frans.

July 24th, 2006, 5:47 pm #4

I'm trying to apply filters in Vallejo but a problem came up. I'm thinning the filter mix with Tuperntine. The Vallejo surface bubbled up and i almost lost all paint job.

Best regards
CADU SOUZA
Vallejo and turpentine don't mix, you'll get the problems you encountered. Shouldn't have that problem using another brand of paint.

July 25th, 2006, 7:57 pm #5

Best regards
CADU SOUZA
Thank you guys...

Best Regards
CADU SOUZA