Filling problems

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Filling problems

Roger Cockburn
Roger Cockburn

April 18th, 2005, 6:18 pm #1

In the past I have just left gaps in my models.
Now I want to fill them but I tried today and it got everywhere. What tool do you use to apply the filler?
What sort of filler do you use?

Thanks,
Roger

Greg H
Greg H

April 18th, 2005, 8:52 pm #2

Roger,

I use an old #11 X-acto blade and either Testors' red putty or Tamiya grey putty.

hth,
Greg Harting

Roger Cockburn
Roger Cockburn

April 19th, 2005, 2:23 pm #3

n/t

April 20th, 2005, 2:51 pm #4

In the past I have just left gaps in my models.
Now I want to fill them but I tried today and it got everywhere. What tool do you use to apply the filler?
What sort of filler do you use?

Thanks,
Roger
Hi Roger,

I use Squadron White, Mr. Surfacer 500, or Bondo Spot Putty, depending on the application. The Bondo putty works the best, though. You can get it at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. It's dirt cheap compared to hobby putties, sticks to plastic, resin, and metal equally well, is creamy and easy to apply and work, dries 3 times faster, chips less, and sands smoother than Squadron, Tamiya, or Testor's. To apply it, I use a toothpick, a piece of plastic card, or a small sculpting spatula. You can get excellent results using a plastic card putty knife, and smoothing it with the edge. Cut the card to fit the space. Practice on an old model. It's just like spackling a wall before you paint.

Best,
Matt
AMPSCT
Best Wishes,
Matthew Toms

April 21st, 2005, 7:47 pm #5

n/t