Figure Show in Fredericksburg this weekend.

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Figure Show in Fredericksburg this weekend.

July 29th, 2012, 9:27 pm #1

Hi,

I just wanted to pass this along. There will be a show this weekend in Fredericksburg, VA sponsored by the Artist Preservation Group. They refer to the show as one that is a "....must attend on the Modeling/Historical Miniature/Soldier show circuit." I am not sure what that means, and the fact that they only managed to approach me via mail as a potential vendor in early July for a show on the first weekend in August suggests to me that they are not well organized. That said, the show sounds like it might feature some interesting displays. Most importantly, they provided a list of vendors that includes Red Lancers. I figured if nothing else, it might be an opporutnity to drive to a show less than an hour from my VA residence and pick up some Hornet heads and other accessories. There is also an ordnance catagory, along the figure catagories.

You can check out their website at www.artistpreservationgroup.com. for more information. The show has some odd hours on Friday evening and Sunday morning, in addition to the Saturday schedule. I think that it is mostly a figure show, but it might be worth the visit if you are within driving distance of Fredericksburg, VA.

Maybe I will see you there.

Richard

July 29th, 2012, 9:32 pm #2

Hi,

I just realized that I didn't provide the location, which is the Hospitality House. That was where the AMPS and IPMS shows were held.

Richard

July 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm #3

Hi,

I just wanted to pass this along. There will be a show this weekend in Fredericksburg, VA sponsored by the Artist Preservation Group. They refer to the show as one that is a "....must attend on the Modeling/Historical Miniature/Soldier show circuit." I am not sure what that means, and the fact that they only managed to approach me via mail as a potential vendor in early July for a show on the first weekend in August suggests to me that they are not well organized. That said, the show sounds like it might feature some interesting displays. Most importantly, they provided a list of vendors that includes Red Lancers. I figured if nothing else, it might be an opporutnity to drive to a show less than an hour from my VA residence and pick up some Hornet heads and other accessories. There is also an ordnance catagory, along the figure catagories.

You can check out their website at www.artistpreservationgroup.com. for more information. The show has some odd hours on Friday evening and Sunday morning, in addition to the Saturday schedule. I think that it is mostly a figure show, but it might be worth the visit if you are within driving distance of Fredericksburg, VA.

Richard
Hello,

I just recently moved back to the USA after being stationed at RAF Lakenheath for the past seven years. I was wondering what are the good shops around this nice green (humid) area that I can get my fix on Dragon kits, resin figures etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Carlos Cardenas
USAF

July 30th, 2012, 2:21 am #4

shops are gone that were near Andrews....check the IPMS main web page..this Nov up I-95 in Whitemarsh MD there's a MD & DC IPMS Chapters one day show...forget the date...good place to shop! Mike

July 30th, 2012, 2:23 am #5

Hello,

I just recently moved back to the USA after being stationed at RAF Lakenheath for the past seven years. I was wondering what are the good shops around this nice green (humid) area that I can get my fix on Dragon kits, resin figures etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Carlos Cardenas
USAF
Hey Carlos,

Welcome home first...and welcome to the DC area. The only store in the area, other than Hobbytown, is Piper Hobby in Chantilly, VA - near Dulles Airport.

There are several AMPS chapters in the area...a great bunch of guys and we have a lot of fun...just plain armor fun...we have a group that is starting back up in Quantico at the National Museum of the Marine Corps - we're the northern-most extension of AMPS Central Virginia in Richmond.

Let me know if I can help get you tied into a group if you are interested.

Semper Fi,
Pat

July 30th, 2012, 2:44 am #6

Hi,

Richard
Rich,

The APG is primarily to raise money to fund preservation efforts of historic militaria in museum collections in dire need of restoration. Several years ago, they funded the preservation and restoration of several of the most important swords in our collection (National Museum of the Marine Corps). They are great guys and the show is gonna be fantastic. Check out the website...its well worth coming on down!

Semper Fidelis,
Pat

July 30th, 2012, 2:55 am #7

Hello,

Sincerely,
Carlos Cardenas
USAF
"Welcome to the Desert...."
Morephus to Neo Matrix

As a N-Va/DC-area treadhead, I can tell you that there is a total lack of hobby shops in the area. Piper is about it-- for now, and give it a few more years and the DC area will be served by internet only. Rents are too high and the demand can't support much. Still support Piper as long as it survives.

There are a couple more treadhead groups in the DC area for you:

Washington Armor Club- meets alternatively in N-Va and Rockville (I believe). They are supported through a Yahoo e-mail group, and the have contact info on the AMPS webpage. I keep procrastinating in setting up a Yahoo e-mail and joining.

Repprtedly, there is a Laurel, Maryland based AMPS chapter that could be close to you. Again, check out AMPS webpage for further leads.

Or, someone may respond with more INTEL.

July 30th, 2012, 6:24 pm #8

Jonathan,

You reminded me of the Central Md AMPS Chapter...Carlos - here's the info on the club and where they meet.

Phone: sivertritchie@comcast.net
Newsletter: N/A
Meets At: Anne Arundel County Public Library, Maryland City at Russet Branch, 3501 Russet Common, Laurel, Maryland 20724 - on Mondays from 6:30 to 8:45 pm.
Dues: 0.00

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,
Pat

July 31st, 2012, 2:15 am #9

Morephus to Neo Matrix

As a N-Va/DC-area treadhead, I can tell you that there is a total lack of hobby shops in the area. Piper is about it-- for now, and give it a few more years and the DC area will be served by internet only. Rents are too high and the demand can't support much. Still support Piper as long as it survives.

Washington Armor Club- meets alternatively in N-Va and Rockville (I believe). They are supported through a Yahoo e-mail group, and the have contact info on the AMPS webpage. I keep procrastinating in setting up a Yahoo e-mail and joining.

Repprtedly, there is a Laurel, Maryland based AMPS chapter that could be close to you. Again, check out AMPS webpage for further leads.

Hi,

Piper hobby is a great shop. Also you might want to check out the Hobbyworks in Anandale, VA and with three locations in MD....Rockville, Laurel and north of Baltimore on the west side of I-95 near APG.

Good luck!

Richard

July 31st, 2012, 2:15 am #10

Morephus to Neo Matrix

Hi,

Piper hobby is a great shop. Also you might want to check out the Hobbyworks in Anandale, VA and with three locations in MD....Rockville, Laurel and north of Baltimore on the west side of I-95 near APG.

Good luck!

Richard