Ferdinand question

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Ferdinand question

January 6th, 2012, 1:51 am #1

Hi there,

I'm planning on making a Ferdinand from Pz.Abt. 653. I know that the jack, jack block, tool box and some other items were moved as field modifications....but I'm not sure when these items would have been moved....if all where moved at the same time, some of the items moved at different times, or what ????

Bart

January 6th, 2012, 4:01 am #2

BART ,

After lookin through th Combat History , it seems that some crews of th Ferdinand did move th stowage box from th right side of th vehicle to th rear, noting that it saved them from being damaged in battle. It also looks like this happened later, after Kursk up until The Ferdies were shipped back to th Nibelungen Werks ( Jan. '44) to be refitted as Elephants , when all Elephants had Their Stowage Boxes relocated to th rear.

HTH ,

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???

January 6th, 2012, 11:43 am #3

And then some crews mounted a spare box, back on the the radio operator's side where it started out. Always looking for more ways to carry more "stuff".

Always pick a vehicle and use it for your reference. I had a picture of a Ferdinand that had a driver's hatch mounted on the radio operator's position. Now I have to search for another copy of the picture.

January 6th, 2012, 1:38 pm #4

BART ,

After lookin through th Combat History , it seems that some crews of th Ferdinand did move th stowage box from th right side of th vehicle to th rear, noting that it saved them from being damaged in battle. It also looks like this happened later, after Kursk up until The Ferdies were shipped back to th Nibelungen Werks ( Jan. '44) to be refitted as Elephants , when all Elephants had Their Stowage Boxes relocated to th rear.

HTH ,

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???
Shifting equipment that is bolted to welded attachment points on the vehicle is generally beyond the role of AFV crewmen and more the remit of the unit workshops. The army (particularly the WW2 German army) is not the sort of anarchic organisation where individual vehicle crews can unilaterally decide to move things about on their vehicle without some sort of official edict. There are significant advanatges to having things in the same places within a unit, as someone can find tools in the dark or under fire if they are always in the same locations without having to blunder around looking everywhere. Quite apart from that, how many tanks or SPGs have a welding set on board?

This is good for us as it means that if we see a specific type of bracket on more than one vehicle (like the spare turret-mounted roadwheels on Panthers of PR.33 or the spare track stowage on PR.5 Pz IIIs in Tripoli) we can make raesonable assertions as to its probable unit.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

January 6th, 2012, 6:47 pm #5

I was saying the crew as in the unit, as far as adding the second "tool box" back onto the side of the Ferdinands (Elefant). Adding the second tool box would simply expand the personal storage on the vehicle. The driver's hatch would only take some screwdrivers and wrenches to change.

This is the unit that took T-34's and Bergepanthers and mounted quad 20mm AA guns on them. Now those were not "standard issue" for sure! Looking at some of the photos the unit may have "repaired" the Zimerit, as the pattern does not match, like a spot was reapplied.

There were very few Ferdinands (90 some)to begin with. After Kurk/Orel the two battalions were combined into one. After the refit one company was sent to Italy and when what was left returned home the whole unit was down-sized into a company. By April 1945 there were only two vehicles operational.
Last edited by AikinutNY on January 6th, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.