Ferdinand and Ssyms 80 Plattformwagen WIP

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Ferdinand and Ssyms 80 Plattformwagen WIP

July 27th, 2012, 12:54 pm #1

Here are some in progress photos of the Dragon Ferdinand and Trumpeter Plattformwagen.

The Ferdinand is the Premium Edition kit from a few years ago with a metal barrel and some etch, etc. I have added some fruils, as you can see, and tried to replicate some of the field modifications that were done to these vehicles, such as moving the tool box, jack, hammer to the rear. I also built up many of the existing welds as I felt they were too deeply recessed, especially when compared to pictures of the two surviving vehicles.

I have added a voyager etch set to the plattformwagen. The Trumpeter kit went together quite well, its simplifications notwithstanding.

The figures are a mix and match from various injection moulded kits, with the one Warriors resin addition. They all have hornet heads.

Here's where it all currently stands, the Ferdinand will be getting a white wash, the inspiration for this comes from a couple of photos in the combat history of s.Pz.Jg.Abt 653.

Any comments appreciated, and thanks for looking.

Jamie Degenhardt

July 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm #2

very nice indeed...can't wait to see it finished....

July 27th, 2012, 4:02 pm #3

Here are some in progress photos of the Dragon Ferdinand and Trumpeter Plattformwagen.

The Ferdinand is the Premium Edition kit from a few years ago with a metal barrel and some etch, etc. I have added some fruils, as you can see, and tried to replicate some of the field modifications that were done to these vehicles, such as moving the tool box, jack, hammer to the rear. I also built up many of the existing welds as I felt they were too deeply recessed, especially when compared to pictures of the two surviving vehicles.

I have added a voyager etch set to the plattformwagen. The Trumpeter kit went together quite well, its simplifications notwithstanding.

The figures are a mix and match from various injection moulded kits, with the one Warriors resin addition. They all have hornet heads.

Here's where it all currently stands, the Ferdinand will be getting a white wash, the inspiration for this comes from a couple of photos in the combat history of s.Pz.Jg.Abt 653.

Jamie Degenhardt
beautiful composition

July 27th, 2012, 9:30 pm #4

Jamie Degenhardt
Hi Jamie
You've done a great job with the rail wagon, the worn timber and rust are perfect!

Cheers
JT

July 27th, 2012, 11:11 pm #5

Jamie Degenhardt
Great stuff Jamie. Love the timber effect.
Last edited by HarvMoore on July 27th, 2012, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 27th, 2012, 11:43 pm #6

Jamie Degenhardt
Jamie-- how did you get that superb effect on the railcar wood? Great job
Dave
D J Judge

July 28th, 2012, 3:16 am #7

Jamie Degenhardt
this pic... wow... there's so much going on without looking at all over done. Just the right amount of everything. Really super nice work!

GD

July 28th, 2012, 6:35 am #8

Jamie Degenhardt
Damn, that looks fantastic so far. Love the restrained weathering and metal effects.

The figures will look excellent painted. One comment if I may, the guy looking back over his shoulder (moulded in the cream colour) looks like he'd have to really strain his neck to be involved in the conversation with the guys he's looking toward.

And I really like the fact that you haven't modulated everything..

David's Model Pages on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/modelscale
Last edited by nzdavidh on July 28th, 2012, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 28th, 2012, 10:55 pm #9

Jamie Degenhardt
Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated.
Jamie

July 28th, 2012, 11:03 pm #10

Jamie-- how did you get that superb effect on the railcar wood? Great job
Dave
Dave, the base wood colour is a mix of pale greys, beige, brown etc with a wash to bring out the grain and dirty it up a bit. The dark grey was chipped and scratched using the hairspray technique. This was then blended with some of the wood tones added back up over the top and also some heavier dark washes
Jamie