fences crash barriers and ice

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

fences crash barriers and ice

Andrew Peacock
Andrew Peacock

January 17th, 2001, 4:22 pm #1

Hi Im tying to build a diorama of a bosnian winter scene in 1/35, complete with academies warrior. The idea was to have a drainage ditch with an iced over stream in the bottom. I want to have patches of ice broken by troops crossing the ditch. So, how can make realistic ice, how can i make it appear broken, and how could i make the water seen throught broken patches.

Im also trying the build roadside crash barriers, Im thinking of the type you find on the central reservation on motorways in britain. Any ideas, I thought about trying to form plasticard over some rod, but had limited success.

And finally, I also need to find out how to represent chain link fence. Are there any products avalable to do the job.

Thank you.

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

January 17th, 2001, 9:21 pm #2

Andrew,
The best representation I've ever seen of what you're talking about was a Louis Pruneau (SP?) diorama I saw several years ago in a Verlinden book. What he did was cut thin styrene card into "shards", and laid it onto a thin layer of poured, I think resin, "water" to represent broken ice. I believe, from looking at the pictures, that he laid the shards into the water before it set so it looked like it was "floating". He then painted and glossed the "water". At the edge of the "ice", which was solid styrene card, he cut it into jagged edges. It really looked cool.

For chain link fence, any of the commercially available mesh of the right size would work simply tilted at 45 degrees. Verlinden also makes a nylon(?)mesh that they illustrate as being used as chain link fence.

Regards,
Barry

Steve Dowty
Steve Dowty

January 17th, 2001, 11:51 pm #3

A long time ago, there was a product called "Cryst-L Craze," which was used on the backs of aquariums. You pour it on, or brush it on, and it crystalizes into random patterns--the more you brush, the smaller the crystals. It looked exactly like ice just beginning to form on still water. I don't know if it is still made, but you could look into it.

John Tapsell
John Tapsell

January 18th, 2001, 8:49 am #4

Hi Im tying to build a diorama of a bosnian winter scene in 1/35, complete with academies warrior. The idea was to have a drainage ditch with an iced over stream in the bottom. I want to have patches of ice broken by troops crossing the ditch. So, how can make realistic ice, how can i make it appear broken, and how could i make the water seen throught broken patches.

Im also trying the build roadside crash barriers, Im thinking of the type you find on the central reservation on motorways in britain. Any ideas, I thought about trying to form plasticard over some rod, but had limited success.

And finally, I also need to find out how to represent chain link fence. Are there any products avalable to do the job.

Thank you.
Andrew,

I made some Armco barrier a while ago for a project

(http://www.armouredengineer.force9.co.uk/scimitar.htm )

I used strips of 5 thou brass sheet and pressed them into a home-made jig. The jig was made in two sections. The "base" was a piece of thick plastic with three sections of 2mm rod glued parallel to each other. The "press" was a piece of thick plastic with only two sections of 2mm rod attached.

Place short strip of brass sheet onto the base and then press the other half of the jig into it. Hey presto! - you have armco barrier.

I think (from memory) that I used brass strips that were around 12mm x 50mm.

Posts are 2mm square plastic rod and the rivet/bolt detail is Grandt Line.

Cheers,
John

John Mooney
John Mooney

January 18th, 2001, 12:31 pm #5

Thank you.
Dear Andrew,

For the chain link fence, try using wedding veil material available from most fabric or material shops. It's inexpensive and replicates this sort of fencing material well.

regards

John