Famo - need suggestions..

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Famo - need suggestions..

August 8th, 2011, 6:20 pm #1

Hi guys,

this is my Famo from Revell..(surprise)

I am planning on a diorama situated in Russia in summertime 41/42. Perhaps towing a PZIII or Stug - or something else entirely - any suggestions ?
I have not yet added the steering wheel or anything in the cargobed because I want to wait untill I am sure of the layout of the diorama and what this beast should be towing ? - so please share your ideas..

Thanks for looking

Best regards Brian

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

August 8th, 2011, 9:07 pm #2

Nicely done. The canvas look quite realistic, and I completely agree with you in waiting for the base or context before applying the final touch to the models. Good worK!

Francisco

August 9th, 2011, 6:31 am #3

Hi guys,

I am planning on a diorama situated in Russia in summertime 41/42. Perhaps towing a PZIII or Stug - or something else entirely - any suggestions ?
I have not yet added the steering wheel or anything in the cargobed because I want to wait untill I am sure of the layout of the diorama and what this beast should be towing ? - so please share your ideas..

Thanks for looking

Best regards Brian

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hi Brian,

That a good looking Famo you build.
This may be an obvious idea, but how about having it tow a beutepanzer or loading it with supplies and have it tow another supply truck (opel blitz?)through the mud. I have seen some pictures on the net showing this.
You could load the cargo bed also with something interesting like a VW beetle, stowing it with bicycles or spoils of war, maybe a pig or a cow? Just some random ideas.

This maybe far fetched and over the hill, but a little humor: since the Famo is a heavy prime mover, the cow could be doing its business in the back with an annoyed soldier looking and as a pun call it "Heavy duty"

Good luck with the dio and keep us posted.

Regards,
Pascal

August 9th, 2011, 10:54 am #4

Hi guys,

Thanks for looking

Best regards Brian

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hi, Brian, good work with that Famo!
Well, correct is FAMO, I know.
No doubt the most popular and most pictured thing seen on tow behind the SdKfz 9 was the flatbed trailer SdAnh 116. You know it was designed to carry tanks but was also loaded with many other things, Russian POWs including (I have at least two different pics with such load but it would be hell to represent in any scale so many figures in different poses). Also you know this trailer is available in 1/72 courtesy of Trumpeter, which automatically makes it one of the easiest towing options, its load apart.
Of course, you can tow with your small beast anything you like, even a ship. I'm serious, there is a picture from Finland on which one Famo tows in concert with StuG III small lake ship (it could be tug) apparently trying to drag it from the water to the shore. From memory, the picture is in some of Squadron's "Panzer Colors" volumes but I have it scanned in my home PC anyway so I can send it to you later (sorry, I'm at work now) or to post it here. However, I'm afraid it would be really big diorama
Also no problem to send you all those pictures of the subject I have in my PC, just let me know. I mean only the pictures on which the Famo tows something, of course. Many of them came from Ebay and are never published.
HTH

August 9th, 2011, 11:03 am #5

Hi Brian,

That a good looking Famo you build.
This may be an obvious idea, but how about having it tow a beutepanzer or loading it with supplies and have it tow another supply truck (opel blitz?)through the mud. I have seen some pictures on the net showing this.
You could load the cargo bed also with something interesting like a VW beetle, stowing it with bicycles or spoils of war, maybe a pig or a cow? Just some random ideas.

This maybe far fetched and over the hill, but a little humor: since the Famo is a heavy prime mover, the cow could be doing its business in the back with an annoyed soldier looking and as a pun call it "Heavy duty"

Good luck with the dio and keep us posted.

Regards,
Pascal
Thanks for the great ideas, Pascal!
I see there is a cowmania in this forum recently Much better.
Talking about pigs, if judging from the pictures they were transported mostly in the sidecars of motorcycles. Furthermore you'll need many of them for that big Famo body! I agree one pig (with or without helmet ) sitting near the driver would be good, but for the body a cow is definitely better, or pair of them would be even better, I think.

August 9th, 2011, 11:53 am #6

Hi guys,

Thanks for looking

Best regards Brian

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

... a loaded flatbed railcar? I remember a picture of a FAMO towing a railcar with a disabled stug or pz III.

Cheers
Piotr

August 9th, 2011, 1:08 pm #7

Piotr, this scene sounds familiar. But are you sure it was Famo? From memory, it was something smaller, if halftrack at all. Or we are talking about different pictures?

August 9th, 2011, 1:30 pm #8

Hi guys,

Thanks for looking

Best regards Brian

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hi again, Brian, this time from home.
Here is the pic I've mentioned above earlier today from work, enjoy:

Something interesting with this picture, for me at least. It isn't visible here but the tug name is "Laine". This is "wave" in Finnish and I was told it is also popular female name in that country. Funny thing are those different languages... Because in my native language (Bulgarian) the same word (indeed, pronounced little different) means guess what? "Shit"! But enough on this, no offense for the Finnish friends here, I hope.

I said today you can tow anything with your Famo and I really mean it. Just another proof, enjoy it too :

Well, now I recall you mentioned Russia, so have here a picture which was taken exactly there, no doubt:

The quality is bad and not much details are visible again but I'm ready to swear the disabled vehicle is Ferdinand (the timing is too early for Elefants but in the same time little too late for your "Summer 1941 or 1942 period", I'm afraid), I also bet the picture was taken somewhere in the area between Kursk, Orel and Belgorod, a.k.a. Kursk salient. I hope you'll like it too, never mind it doesn't fit exactly in the period you want to represent. BTW, looks like the Famo on the picture is the second one in the train, note the tow bar in front of it and the rear of the vehicle in front, just visible on left on the picture, which looks another Famo (but I'm not much sure it is!)
But back to your model. If it isn't too late, I think it wouldn't be bad to give a black wash to those stored tilt bows, to give them a look of separate items. Now they look exactly what they are: something moulded in block. Again, otherwise great model!
HTH
P.S. Want more pics?
Last edited by Ilian Filipov on August 9th, 2011, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2011, 1:54 pm #9

Hi Ilian,

A Ferdinand or Elephant is way too heavy to be towed by one Famo. The vehicle in front of the Famo towing the Ferdinand is also a Famo and I would not be surprised if there was a third one in front of that. A tiger I needs already two Famos to pull is.
This link shows another ferdinand to be towed, two are already attached and two more are being made ready to be couple to the Ferdinand:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deckarudo/4775725618/

And this on has a couple of picture too, but especially the halftracks needed to pull a turret of a maus is impressive:
http://www.multi-board.com/board/index. ... tID=355342

By the way cool picture on the ship, that is one good dio idea.

Regards,
Pascal
Last edited by Phut17 on August 9th, 2011, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2011, 2:34 pm #10

Thanks for the pics, Pascal, the first one in particular is simpy great! At first I have thought this is the same Ferdinand but there are some minor differences in the camouflage pattern. However, the place is the same, I think.
About the Tiger you're not quite right. It required also 3 of those halftracks to tow it, as here:

This was the rule but there were deviations of it, of course. I've seen many pictures of Tigers towed by two Famos only but I guess this was allowed for short distances. Also, as you know, it was strictly prohibited to tow one Tiger with another because the engine wasn't capable to withstand the effort and in all cases the results of such attempts were the same: two disabled Tigers instead of one. So it was a shock for me to see a picture on which Tiger II tows Jagdtiger (or it was the opposite, I can't recall). I mean everything is possible in war conditions.
I see you liked that "StuG-Famo-Ship" big diorama idea, if you'll ever decide to give it a try, Revell have (or had) similar tug in their range. It isn't in 1:72, was little bigger or little smaller, I can't recall, but quite suitable for the purpose, those ship scales are too relatival anyway.
HTH