Ever had one of those "if only" moments.....

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Ever had one of those "if only" moments.....

September 23rd, 2011, 1:05 am #1

Ok, we have all had them, you know the ones, where you do some thing, and think if only I had.....
In my case, I decided to do a USMC M1A1HC, I got all the advice I needed, bought the Dragon Orange box kit for some (read 2) parts I wanted, organised a M1A1AIM to convert, ordered the Voyager etch set and started to organise the parts I needed to scratch build, and asked others if they would be interested in the set......then I got told a conversion had been released and also a prominent manufacturer is about to release it as a kit, all in one box....if only I had waited!!!
I have a whole list of these things!!!!
C'mon, share your "if only" moment!!
Shane

September 23rd, 2011, 11:02 am #2

Took forever to collect up all the aftermarket items like the barrel, Ordnance Models resin, eduard PE. The final item needed was tracks. Out comes the AFV Club track and suspension set, heralding the arrival of a new Bulldog that makes the old kit and aftermaket items obsolete.

RobG
RobG

September 23rd, 2011, 3:59 pm #3

Ok, we have all had them, you know the ones, where you do some thing, and think if only I had.....
In my case, I decided to do a USMC M1A1HC, I got all the advice I needed, bought the Dragon Orange box kit for some (read 2) parts I wanted, organised a M1A1AIM to convert, ordered the Voyager etch set and started to organise the parts I needed to scratch build, and asked others if they would be interested in the set......then I got told a conversion had been released and also a prominent manufacturer is about to release it as a kit, all in one box....if only I had waited!!!
Shane
...WZT2, a Polish ARV based on a T-55 chassis. I thought I'd save some money and use the Italeri kit as I was only going to use the hull 'tub' and wheels. A few weeks later and after much gnashing of teeth and tantrums over why the scale plans didn't match up with the actual parts I had in my hand, I thought " if only I'd used the Tamiya kit..."

September 23rd, 2011, 4:21 pm #4

Shane
Shane,

I have done this numerous times, but the worst was a box full of stuff I amassed to build a Panzer IV E. The box had a Tamiya Ausf D, a Italeri Ausf F1, Fruil tracks and drive sprockets,Aber etch and fenders, Tamiya pioneer tools, and various other bits and bobs. Then Dragon started releasing Panzer IVs. I even hung on to all of this after the first Dragon E kit was released. I'm sure that I had about $150 worth of stuff in the box and had only begun to convert the turret when I broke down and bought the 2nd Dragon Release.

Have done similar things with early Panzer IIs, a Chaffee, a Valentine,an M36, and stuff to build an Pershing from an M47.

But sometimes amassing those piles of parts for pipe dream models is a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Rob

September 23rd, 2011, 4:42 pm #5

the thrill is in the hunt.

RobG
RobG

September 23rd, 2011, 5:00 pm #6

Shane
I collected a pair of Tamiya Jeeps, Resicast posable front axles, Italeri Vickers K guns and US gas cans, Eduard PE and modified an old Pyro civilian tire and mounted it on a Jeep wheel. Then Dragon came out with their SAS Jeep kit and I thought I'd wasted all thet time and money. But alas, the gods smiled down on me and it seems that what I have is far better that the Dragon kit. It's nice to get a repreve!

September 23rd, 2011, 7:17 pm #7

Shane
I've had this happen to me quite often, but I usually don't worry over much about it.

First, the final results of my own build are usually as good or better than the latest kit offering.

Second, I enjoy the research and building more than the "having," so for me the "build" is the goal and purpose of the hobby. Once I'm done with a project, it just sits on a shelf and collects dust.

I really don't care if there's a newer and "better" kit released of a particular subject that I've recently finished (or started).

So, even though my latest project might get released in kit form, I don't sweat it. If I have a "do-over" at some later date, I'll use the latest best kit available, and my earlier work usually gives me a head-start since I've done the research and earlier, "harder" build.

I worry more over the latest and best research information that renders an earlier build "out-dated." However, you can only build 'em as good as the available information, though, so even this is little more than a minor anoyance and incentive to build the same subject again at a later date...

For me, it's the model building that's important. You can spend your whole life waiting in fear that as soon as you collect up all the bits and bobs your planned build will be scooped by the latest release, or you can sit down at the work bench and start building.

FWIW, I say you have a USMC M1A1HC waiting for you on your work bench...

Mike

September 23rd, 2011, 9:13 pm #8

Shane
I am planning a M60 build....got the info, bought the Academy M60 with dozer blade and have been offered and accepted a Verlinden dozer blade kit, then saw a Tamiya M60A1 Marines at a good price, put a bid on it, ordered an etch set for both, ordered barrels and tracks for both.....and missed the auction close time, losing the Tamiya kit by one dollar!! If only I waited until the end of the auction before ordering the detail sets!!
Shane

September 24th, 2011, 4:22 am #9

To set your mind at ease Shane, you likely did not lose the auction by one dollar. It's just that the winning bidder's top bid was higher than yours. For instance, let's say near the end of the auction, the current bidder has the item up for $22. You make a bid of $30 and what registers is that you've just become the high bidder at $28. What does that tell you? The previous bidder's high bid was $27. You just outbid him -- but he has no way of knowing that you placed a bid at $30. Near the close of the auction, you carefully watch your $28 bid hold until the last seconds when you lose out to another person's final bid at $31. While it's possible he bid $31 exactly, he could have bid $100 -- but all it took to overtake the 2nd highest bidder (you) was a $31 amount. Hope this makes sense.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

September 24th, 2011, 8:22 am #10

Yes, I have bid often, and I have used that tactic too, what I meant was I got complacent.....no one else had shown any interest....and he only added a dollar to my bid ( have one by .50c!!)....but no loss, as I didn't really need two M60A1's anyway.
The point I was making was I planned on getting it...so I bought aftermarket stuff before I made sure I had the kit!! A bird in the hand etc etc etc
Shane