Euro Militaire !! EDITED

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Euro Militaire !! EDITED

September 22nd, 2011, 8:39 am #1

Hello guys
My posts was removed because I received a threat !!!!
My best
Mirko
Last edited by mirkobayerl on September 29th, 2011, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 22nd, 2011, 9:03 am #2

To get gold is not ONLY talent...you need to sell yourself and your product, know the right people..its a buissnes and not for senstive artists anymore.
This is the challenge that any major competition faces today. To some participants the publicity assosiated with the medals, especially gold, is extremely important and may lead for example to reactions that Mirko described above. In my opinion at Euro Militaire people in charge of the competition are well aware of this moral hazard and do their best to make sure that models are judged on merit only. But no man made system is full proof and it is only as good as its weakest link.

I enjoy the people and the atmosphere at Euro Militare. Participating the competition is, if nothing else, a way of keeping track on your own development (or lack of it;-). Sometimes the results are more and sometime less to my liking but that's only human.

It would be nice to see Mirko's work again at Folkestone, even if only on show.

Mirko, välkommen till Tavastehus och Nordic Challenge i november. Seehttp://www.nordic-challenge.net/ Garanterar att atmösfären påminner dig om de gamla goda tider då IPMS Sveriges utstälning var i Armemuseet/Tekniska museet.

Regards,

Jari

September 22nd, 2011, 9:13 am #3

Hello guys
My best
Mirko
...in many points.

And..by the way...who took Gold medals this year??? Some of my favorites doens't get any emdal, even no commended, but i don't know who won.

I have seen some photos of the show, but not who got medal or not.

Any news??

Anyway, like i told you, many things changed in Euro, and ofc ourse it is not like when we meet in Euro frist years.
I have judge Euro many times, and each year something happened, alswys a new history always.

That history of the" I always get gold medal" or " I got gold medal in other shows" sound very familiar to me

But the fault is not frOm the egocentric modeller but from the judge who give the non deserved golds or silvers , and just because he is scared to don't give a gold to a modeller who is getting popular. This is the main problem isn many shows. Judges are scared and they just follow the fashion, they give a Gold to this or that one just because he is getting famous, or he just publish in many magazines or he got many golds in other shows.

I think that the problem is the lack of criteria and independency of some jusdges.

Modelers with ego....exist and will exist always.
Modellers who think they deserv always the top awards... also.

Anyway, I was not there this year. so I cannot judge, but i have hear from some modelelrs that something happened.

Anyone can drop a little light without FEAR????

MIG

September 22nd, 2011, 9:18 am #4

So right
Last edited by mirkobayerl on September 29th, 2011, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 22nd, 2011, 12:50 pm #5

actually politicked a model in a category I was judging in "because the judge knew the Modeler". It is a sad situation worlwide. Another thing I do not care for is the no sweeps rule, you have five models in one category and three are markedly superior to the others but since they have been built by the same person....you have to give a third place to an inferior model. Goes against the grain of judging objectively.
Ken

September 22nd, 2011, 12:54 pm #6

Hello guys
My best
Mirko
1 year i was taking photoes for m v m while the juging was going on, i asked a judge why did so and so get a gold and another didnt? at the end of the exsplanation he said some modelers make a living from modeling so they are judged favourably! if so my point is they are commiting froud! people pay to enter the compatition so all should be judged the same! if they take money then disregard certain models becouse they are not names surely this is wronge! i also ave a issue with putting names on the cards under the models, they shouldnt in my opinion they should be anonimus! saying that i think judging will always upset some people no matter wat as we are all human. just my pennies worth! alan

September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm #7

please excuse my poor spelling in the above rant!

September 22nd, 2011, 2:53 pm #8

Hello guys
My best
Mirko
Hi,

I usually avoid discussions like this, but I feel compelled to add my views as regards the judging at Euro Militaire, a show which I have attended and competed at for many years.

By way of introduction, my name is Michael McLaughlin, I write articles for Military Modelling magazine in my spare time and I have been competing in the major model shows in the UK (Euro, On-Track, MAFVA Nationals and BMSS Nationals)over the past year. Going by the publicity and exposure theory I should have come home from Euro with medals.....

I entered four models at Euro 2011 in the diorama, military figure, civilian figure and miscellaneous civilian classes. Only one model was given an award; a highly commended which in layman's terms means: "Your model is close, but not quite up to medal standard."
I have to say that in my opinion my models were not as good as the medal winners, which in addition to being perfectly finished also had an extra 'something' which took them to a different level.

My favourite diorama,this year was titled "Benzin" which depicted a scene in the North African desert during a sand storm. The extra something hit me when I leaned closer to get a better look and I was convinced that I was going to get sand blown in my eyes, so much so that I instinctively closed my eyes and stepped back onto someone's foot!

It really is impossible to tell by looking at photos the standard of the models in the competition some models photograph well, but do not look so good to the eye which leads into the building for the camera or the eye discussion.

Last year I conducted an experiment, I entered the same models at the major UK shows and not model one model consistently received awards. One model which won best of show at Trucks 'n' Tracks did not receive an award at any other show and models which failed to get any award at Trucks 'n' Tracks received golds silvers and bronzes at other shows. Only one model received an award at Euro and that was a Commended.

I have come to the conclusion that in most competitions a model catches the judges' eye, but at Euro the standard of work,sheer volume of entries, inventiveness and originality makes it much more difficult to catch the eye of the judges. I think that the way that the standard of the medal winners improves year on year that my models will never bother the judges when they are deciding on the gold medal awards, but I will keep trying.

Regards
Mike

Please remove xxx from my email address.

September 22nd, 2011, 3:06 pm #9

yep as much as i'll never get a chance to go sounds like to much ******** going on there anyway ,the one thing ive always liked about EURO from what i seen in pictures was the no referance material stacked hi beside a model like they do here in Aus and some young kid could build an awesome flawless build but get hung because he couldnt afford all the referance or lack of

September 22nd, 2011, 3:47 pm #10

Hi,

I usually avoid discussions like this, but I feel compelled to add my views as regards the judging at Euro Militaire, a show which I have attended and competed at for many years.

By way of introduction, my name is Michael McLaughlin, I write articles for Military Modelling magazine in my spare time and I have been competing in the major model shows in the UK (Euro, On-Track, MAFVA Nationals and BMSS Nationals)over the past year. Going by the publicity and exposure theory I should have come home from Euro with medals.....

I entered four models at Euro 2011 in the diorama, military figure, civilian figure and miscellaneous civilian classes. Only one model was given an award; a highly commended which in layman's terms means: "Your model is close, but not quite up to medal standard."
I have to say that in my opinion my models were not as good as the medal winners, which in addition to being perfectly finished also had an extra 'something' which took them to a different level.

My favourite diorama,this year was titled "Benzin" which depicted a scene in the North African desert during a sand storm. The extra something hit me when I leaned closer to get a better look and I was convinced that I was going to get sand blown in my eyes, so much so that I instinctively closed my eyes and stepped back onto someone's foot!

It really is impossible to tell by looking at photos the standard of the models in the competition some models photograph well, but do not look so good to the eye which leads into the building for the camera or the eye discussion.

Last year I conducted an experiment, I entered the same models at the major UK shows and not model one model consistently received awards. One model which won best of show at Trucks 'n' Tracks did not receive an award at any other show and models which failed to get any award at Trucks 'n' Tracks received golds silvers and bronzes at other shows. Only one model received an award at Euro and that was a Commended.

I have come to the conclusion that in most competitions a model catches the judges' eye, but at Euro the standard of work,sheer volume of entries, inventiveness and originality makes it much more difficult to catch the eye of the judges. I think that the way that the standard of the medal winners improves year on year that my models will never bother the judges when they are deciding on the gold medal awards, but I will keep trying.

Regards
Mike

Please remove xxx from my email address.
Well, here some basic stuff that is universal:

1) Judges must be enought smart to avoid to follow fashions or VIP poeple in the shows.

2) Judges must have enought knologements of some areas, like history, paint, Scratch...and a good combination of judges can cover all areas. This is why sometimes there are 3 judges.

3) Judges should haven't friends in the competition.

4) Judges should haven't own tastes or favorite subjects in contests.

5) ANONIMATUS...stupid thing. Everybody know who is who in the shows. Missing Lynx is the showcase before the shows.

And,..... a good judge should haven't doubts about if this one deserve the gold or nothing. You can miss something...but you cannot say this is gold medal and second later...ok...maybe is nothing!!

I remeber some years ago, judging a Mario Eens model in Euro, I Decided give his model a Silver because I thought that this model was not as good as his preview ones, and was not the standard that year. His model was a bit shy in some points, so...I took that decision. It was very SAD to me, because he was my friend, and I was his fan!!! But I needed to give him just silver when he "expect" (and everybody) a gold.

many of his friends were veryyyy disapointed with me, but not Mario, who accepte it very well.

Sometimes, the people think that the awards must FIT with their own imaginations. Sometimes, Judges think exactly the same...and they think the golds must be like they and others expect.

Big MISTAKE.....from ORGANIZATORS, not from these judges. (maybe these judges just should continuing modelling, that's all)

When the judges are the wrong ones, the organizators are the responsables. This is my opinion.

MIG