Ersatz M10 question.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Ersatz M10 question.

September 22nd, 2017, 12:09 am #1

I want to depict a Ersatz M10 right after fabrication and before OD was added.

What was most likely the color of the donor tank?

About what time frame were they fabbed ?

Were the tabbed locally or of "station" and shipped or drove to area of operation?

Thanks.
Last edited by eric wisdom on September 22nd, 2017, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 22nd, 2017, 12:28 pm #2

"I want to depict a Ersatz M10 right after fabrication and before OD was added.

What was most likely the color of the donor tank? "

There is no reason to believe the donor tanks were anything other than normally painted Panthers.

"About what time frame were they fabbed ?"

They would have been made in late 1944 before the offensive. Originally, it was planned to use/use more captured US equipment but only one or two Shermans were on hand so the M10 Panthers and some oddly modified StuG IIIs were created and painted in bogus US markings. The brigade had only six weeks to train and I would guess the vehicles were prepped in September/October 1944.

"Were the tabbed locally or of "station" and shipped or drove to area of operation?"

I'm sure that info is available. i assume they were all constructed at one location and then shipped to the front like all of the other tanks used in the offensive.

DAVID NICKELS

September 22nd, 2017, 4:23 pm #3

Thanks for the time and solid explanation on the subject. I did find that the Panthers were newly produced vehicles directly shipped from the army material agencies (Heeres-Zeugämter) to the Brigade. The conversion work was carried out in November / December 1944 in GRAFENWOEHR.
Last edited by eric wisdom on September 22nd, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 22nd, 2017, 7:19 pm #4

Were the tabbed locally or of "station" and shipped or drove to area of operation?

Thanks.
There is a published photo(s) of the turret with the sheet metal ripped open. You can see a light and dark color pattern on the mantlet. I can't tell you what book without searching my library. If I find it I will get back to you.

Cheers
Jim

September 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm #5

Which seems to indicate everything was one color

DAVID NICKELS

September 22nd, 2017, 7:33 pm #6

Most likely it is one of the other vehicles.

Jim

September 22nd, 2017, 7:56 pm #7

There is a published photo(s) of the turret with the sheet metal ripped open. You can see a light and dark color pattern on the mantlet. I can't tell you what book without searching my library. If I find it I will get back to you.

Cheers
Jim
the book 'The Meuse First And Then Antwerp by Michael Schadewitz' on page 190.

September 22nd, 2017, 8:38 pm #8

Thanks.
Hi
As an OD Panther is A) boring and B) predictable despite it's re-aplication, how much more interesting to have it in the state of re-work? Lots of colour contrasts possible, sheet metal additions in progress, welding gear around, details on the workshop floor, partially-painted items?

I have a few ideas on the presentation / dio, feel free to email or discuss separately should you wish. Another normal untreated Panther could be adjacent for comparison. I believe these were actioned in high secrecy too.

I'd love to find some workshop type pics to set the scene. I have an old Scale-Line (?) German welder and gear to incorporate.

Cheers
Andrew

September 23rd, 2017, 12:13 am #9

Cheers
Jim
That's a great help on helping me create the scene. It's gonna look cool. Thanks.
Last edited by eric wisdom on September 23rd, 2017, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 23rd, 2017, 12:15 am #10

Which seems to indicate everything was one color

That's some top notch metal work.